Re: Programs I load (as the administrator)

From: Colin Nash [MVP] (ilikemooseheadbeer-REMOVETHIS-_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 02/04/04

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:28:50 -0500

Hi Ray,

Unfortunately some software is not very well written and doesn't handle
multiple user profiles very well.

One thing to try is go into C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\*your name*\DESKTOP
and/or C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\*your name*\START MENU\PROGRAMS and copy
the appopriate icons into the same folder under your daughter's name... or
even better, under "All Users".

If you put it under "All Users" don't be surprised if you see two copies
when you log in: you are seeing your original one, plus the one that "all
users" see. You can probably delete your own in this case, since you count
as one of "all users" :)

If you still have problems, you may need to temporary elevate your
daughter's account to an administrator, log in as her to perform the
installation and then demote her again.

Finally, some applications (especially some games) will only run as an
administrator. In this case you need to re-evaluate your need for the
software vs your attempts to control access to the system.

I hope this helps.

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP
"rber@mts.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There are 4 users on our computer using XP Home edition.
> I have given myself administrator rights and the other 3
> have been assigned user rights.  Some of the programs I
> have loaded can only be run (used) by me.  For example, I
> loaded "The Ultimate Rollercoster" for my daughter.  I
> can run the program under my user name but the program
> cannot be used by my daughter while in her user profile.
> Why is this.  I thought the whole idea behind having an
> administrator is so that other users can "use" but not
> install or delete things from the computer to preserve it
> in an operating manner?  Is there something, other than
> giving everyone administrator rights, that I can do to
> allow everyone else on the computer to run software I
> install?
>
> I would appreciate some help here.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ray

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Administrator and System Rights
    ... Which user are you logged on as when you try to install these applications? ... I am trying to install Norton> Antivirus and it is throwing an error telling me that I> must have administrator rights to have access to the> correct logs files and have them be "writable." ... I've gotten messages from Easy> CD Creator as well, telling me to login as a user with> administrator rights to complete the install. ...
  • Administrator and System Rights
    ... I have 1 user on my XP Home install that is the Computer ... Antivirus and it is throwing an error telling me that I ... must have administrator rights to have access to the ... administrator rights to complete the install. ...
  • Re: Administrator and System Rights
    ... When you boot into safe mode, the "Administrator" account is shown in the ... >>Which user are you logged on as when you try to install ... >>> administrator rights to complete the install. ...
  • Re: Administrator and System Rights
    ... I'm logged in as the "Computer Administrator." ... another post saying the you can login as "Administrator" ... >Which user are you logged on as when you try to install ... >> administrator rights to complete the install. ...
  • Re: Draft I: Why You Dont Want to Install Software
    ... All these functions should be under the control of the system administrator. ... > idea of contacting your network consultant to install software probably ... > could install software. ... Windows 9x was notoriously unstable and fragile. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)