RE: Problems with User Accounts in XP

From: Paul [MSFT] (pauly_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 01/18/04

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:33:11 GMT

Regarding post:

--------------------
| From: "Donna Atkins" <donna_atkins@hotmail.com>
| Subject: Problems with User Accounts in XP
| Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:07:14 -0800
|
| Can anyone help me? Whenever I try to set up another
| user account in addtion to mine, although it appears on
| the front log on screen, if you try to access it, all
| that happens is an error message appears stating contact
| your network administrator, file specified not found.
| All I want to do is set up some limited accounts so that
| my landlady and her children can use my computer with
| their own profiles. But it doesn't matter how many times
| I try to set them up, they just won't work. Even the
| guest account feature displays the same message!
|
| Help!!!
|
| Thank you.

==================================

Hi Donna,

It appears that you may have a problem with the default user profile. This
profile may be missing one or ore critical files, which could explain why
you see a messag stating that a "...file specified could not found".

Troubleshooting this involves searching for and replacing any missing files
as a start. The tool designed for this in Windows XP is the System File
Checker (SFC.EXE)

When logged as an administrator perform:
  Start/Run and type in "SFC /scannow" without quotes

Additional Information:

310747 Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310747

319974 HOW TO: Create a Custom Default User Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319974

168475 How to Create a Base Profile for All Users
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=168475

269378 Differences in the User Profiles in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269378

294887 How to Check User Profiles on a Windows XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=294887

310595 Description of HKEY_CURRENT_USER Registry Subkeys
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310595

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE