RE: Problems with User Accounts in XP

From: Paul [MSFT] (pauly_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 01/18/04

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:33:11 GMT

Regarding post:

--------------------
| From: "Donna Atkins" <donna_atkins@hotmail.com>
| Subject: Problems with User Accounts in XP
| Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:07:14 -0800
|
| Can anyone help me? Whenever I try to set up another
| user account in addtion to mine, although it appears on
| the front log on screen, if you try to access it, all
| that happens is an error message appears stating contact
| your network administrator, file specified not found.
| All I want to do is set up some limited accounts so that
| my landlady and her children can use my computer with
| their own profiles. But it doesn't matter how many times
| I try to set them up, they just won't work. Even the
| guest account feature displays the same message!
|
| Help!!!
|
| Thank you.

==================================

Hi Donna,

It appears that you may have a problem with the default user profile. This
profile may be missing one or ore critical files, which could explain why
you see a messag stating that a "...file specified could not found".

Troubleshooting this involves searching for and replacing any missing files
as a start. The tool designed for this in Windows XP is the System File
Checker (SFC.EXE)

When logged as an administrator perform:
  Start/Run and type in "SFC /scannow" without quotes

Additional Information:

310747 Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310747

319974 HOW TO: Create a Custom Default User Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319974

168475 How to Create a Base Profile for All Users
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=168475

269378 Differences in the User Profiles in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269378

294887 How to Check User Profiles on a Windows XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=294887

310595 Description of HKEY_CURRENT_USER Registry Subkeys
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310595

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation
pauly@online.microsoft.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Freezes at Welcome Screen, Desktop
    ... Are you able to log on as the Administrator in Safe Mode and create ... HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP ... How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile ...
  • Recover User Profile
    ... We recently upgraded from a Windows 2000 Server to a Windows 2003 ... Small Business Server environment. ... domain was given the same name as were all the user accounts. ... my old user profile when I go to Control ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Recover XP User Profile
    ... We recently upgraded from a Windows 2000 Server to a Windows 2003 ... Small Business Server environment. ... domain was given the same name as were all the user accounts. ... my old user profile when I go to Control ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Recover XP User Profile
    ... How To Restore a User Profile in Windows Server 2003 ... We recently upgraded from a Windows 2000 Server to a Windows 2003 ... domain was given the same name as were all the user accounts. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: removing user accounts on XP Home
    ... The Power Users group doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home Edition. ... control userpasswords2 Brings up User Accounts, the one you would get from ... Creation of user in the 'Power Users' group with 'Control Userpasswords2' ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)