Explorer.exe Crashes - The memory could not be written - Update! Still Need Help!

From: John Corson (john_at_corson.org)
Date: 12/27/03

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:02:01 -0500

>From my research the following problem is experienced by a vast number of
people and the only common denominator is the use of WinXP SP1 and possibly
a number of patches however, I have utilized system restore to the point of
ten days before I noticed the problem begin.

At random times when trying to open a folder (directory), I receive the
following popup: "Application Error: The instruction at "0x77f57ec4"
referenced memory at "0x00000067". The memory could not be "written". A
similar popup appears reading: "Application Error: The exception unknown
software exception (0xc015000f) occurred in the application at location
0x77f6fca7."

When going to the event properties in the Administrative Tools, I see under
application events that the following notation appears: "The shell stopped
unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted." It is a winlogon event with
event number 1002.

When this error occurs I have to click as many as three popup notices.
Following that, all icons on the desktop disappear for a few seconds, the
screen is refreshed, icons re-appear and most applications running in the
background (anti-virus, etc) do not appear in the toolbar until logging off
and back on.

I am suspecting one major area that I haven't tried -- Changing out memory.
Six weeks before I started having this issue I upgraded to ABIT KD-7 RAID
m/b with Athlon XP2700+ CPU; 2048 mb DDR PC2700 ECC non buffered RAM. Would
adding an extra wait from the cycle between memory and CPU help? I.e using
Registered ECC RAM? Before I go to the added EXPENSE of getting registered
RAM I would like to have confirmation.

Other things I have done to try to correct the issue:
1) Running sfc/scannow to restore original .dll's, etc.
2) Re-installed SP1 (to restore possible corrupt explorer.exe file)
3) Flashed BIOS
4) Dropped down to 1024 mb and checked each memory module;
5) Tried various RAM settings withn the BIOS; and enabled Shadowing and
Caching;
6) Gone back to several system restore points (even before the last four
critical updates from Microsoft);
7) Uninstalled the various pieces of software that I added since the time
this issue started to occur;
8) Tested RAM with both MEMtest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic;
9) SiSoft Sandra 2003 indicates no warnings or applicable suggestions for
changes or modifications;
10) Swapped out CPU's (one Athlon XP-2700+ with another of the same specs);
and
11) Checked the system board temperature (averaging 35 to 38 degrees C) and
CPU (averaging between 36 and 39 degrees C)
_____

Only one hardware update since this issue started and that is going from a
2mb cache harddrive to an 8 -- same disc size, RPM, ATA-133, etc. Old drive
was imaged over to the new.
_____
For those techies needing a rundown of programs running when the crash
occurs let's just say it varies, but here is a list of those running at
start up:

System Idle Process
System
smss.exe \SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe winlogon.exe
services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss
svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
CCEVTMGR.EXE "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
CTSVCCDA.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
DKService.exe "C:\Program Files\Executive
Software\DiskeeperWorkstation\DKService.exe"
inetinfo.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
"C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\ActivityDisk.exe"
mdm.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe"
NAVAPSVC.EXE "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton
AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe"
PDSched.exe "C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDSched.exe"
NOPDB.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
ups.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\ups.exe
vsmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service
MsPMSPSv.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
iTouch.exe "C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe"
Imgicon.exe "C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe"
ccApp.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccApp.exe"
zlclient.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe"
ctfmon.exe "C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe"
EM_EXEC.EXE "C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe"
AD2KClient.exe "C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\AD2KClient.exe"
SecCopy.exe "C:\Program Files\SecCopy\SecCopy.exe"
rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ATIMUL~1\RemCtrl\x10net.dll,EntryPoint -Embedding
WCESCOMM.EXE "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
Cacheman.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\Cacheman\Cacheman.exe"
msmsgs.exe "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" -Embedding
____

If you notice something is this missive that may sound an alarm to you, then
please let me know. I have published this to various help groups like
Extreme Tech, Annoyances.org, WinXPNews.com, Computing.net and Hardware
Analysis.com (also the Abit and AMD support grounps too)! Others are having
this or a similair issue and I would like to get all our heads together in
nip this thing once and for all!

---John Corson---

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Memory for a Dell 2400
    ... the dimension 2400 happily works with kingston value ram kvr400/512r ... if it comes up with something then disable system restore, ... According to the "System" tab on his maching, he has a "Dell Dimension ... 1GB of memory and has two memory slots inside. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Explorer.exe Crashes - The memory could not be written - Update! Still Need Help!
    ... Given all the applications listed that are know to hook in at ... different software, then suspect hardware, such as memory. ... > a number of patches however, I have utilized system restore to the point ... > RAM I would like to have confirmation. ...
  • Re: PC Freezes on Internet
    ... The problems started a week ago when I installed additional memory, I have three memory slots, I purchased 512 memory upgrade this was placed in the first slot with the 2x256 placed in the second and third, Jetway instructions do no say that all slots have to contain the same amount of RAM and that the system will work as long as no more than 3GB of memory are installed. ... I have been unable to do a System Restore under three separate dates but finally went into SAFE Mode to carry out this task which was successful. ...
  • Re: Windows uses 4 GB? Really?
    ... I bought 4 GB of RAM because I thought it would speed up my system a bit. ... Some info that is posted here as reference seems to suggest that it is a Windows issue, but others seem to suggest that it is also a hardware issue. ... "I have install total 4GB memory on my motherboard. ... On a SLI system, since PCI-Ex graphic cards will occupy around 256MB, another 256MB will be occupied after you install a 2nd PCI-Ex graphic card. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)