Re: Encrypting encrypted files

From: Neil (me_at_home.com)
Date: 12/22/03

Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:30:47 +1100

Thanks for your response Hover,

Logic should dictate that the files maintain the original security level
(encryption) that the originator
intended, glad to see this logic is employed with MS File Encryption...

Neil.

"Hover Xue [MSFT]" <hoverxue@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Neil,
>
> Thanks for posting here!
>
> Actually, the files are only encrypted once. If a file is encrypted, it
> will not be encrypted again in the encrypted folder.
>
> If you use your own account to copy these Encrypted files, your account
> probably already has the keys to open the Encrypted files. You don't need
> to care about other users' keys. When moving an Encrypted file to the
> Encrypted folder, it keeps its inherited feature.
>
> It is still recommended to backup other users' private keys. For example,
> if the backup program uses another user's account to copy documents to the
> encrypted folder, that documents are encrypted, allowing (by default) only
> that user to gain access.
>
> For more information, please see:
> 308989 HOW TO: Encrypt a Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308989
>
> 223316 Best Practices for the Encrypting File System
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223316
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Regards,
> Hover Xue
> MCSE 2000, MCDBA
> Microsoft Partner Support

> ==============

> ==============

rights.

> --------------------
> | From: "Neil" <me@home.com>
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
> | Subject: Encrypting encrypted files
> | Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:31:16 +1100
> |
> | I routinely back up files from WIN XP PRO workstations to
> | a removable IDE hard drive.
> |
> | This drive is stored off site for disaster prevention purposes !
> |
> | Whilst the PC's @ home are vulnerable, so is my roving backup drive
> | and hence I backup my files onto this drive, into encrypted folders.
> | The encryption keys are kept separately on a CD.
> |
> | I noticed the other day that the backup picks up encrypted files from
> | various profiles off the workgroup PC's and drops them into encrypted
> | folders (different profile).
> |
> | Apart from the need to keep the keys for all profiles off the PC's and
in
> | safe place,
> | can anyone advise any issues with this 'double encryption' process ??
> |
> | Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Email Encryption Between Servers
    ... Secure E-mail, PGP, secure web server, ... Are the doctors going to have separate keys for each provider, doctor, ... desktop e-mail encryption, enterprise e-mail encryption. ... manage key exchange, staff training, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Which Drive Encryptor for this?
    ... detained without charge indefinitely. ... demand your access keys. ... The USA is not alone in this - in the UK you can be jailed for refusing to hand over encryption keys to the authorities. ... displayed on his laptop display and the customs officer saf that. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Which Drive Encryptor for this?
    ... detained without charge indefinitely. ... demand your access keys. ... encryption keys, the current state of affairs seems to be that ... displayed on his laptop display and the customs officer saf that. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: File Encryption/Decryption Question
    ... database file. ... Either you backup the keys, by what attackers can easily get to the ... Developers of secure encryption software ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • My response to a message by Dorothy Denning in 1995 - Australia and Encryption Policy
    ... Subject: Australia and Encryption Policy ... interception, which includes the issue of the use of cryptography as: ... keys but may be required to provide them in response to a court order. ...
    (sci.crypt)