Re: Firewall now has numerous ports???

anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com
Date: 12/03/03

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:17:54 -0800

nine ports? You
>certainly could have suffered some sort of attack
connected to the internet
>for four hours unprotected. If you have other computers,
it is a good idea
>to use a device at the perimiter also. You can buy a
cable/dsl router for as
>little as $19 after rebates at Best buy. If the other
computers are like
>configured, you could use netstat -ano to compare
network processes
>connected/listening. I also like Tcpview which is free
from Sysinternals
>which is compact and can show you detailed information
on network processes,
>mapping to the executable path and allow you to kill any
process you see.
>Task Manager may be also helpful in determining a
process hogging the CPU
>and of course you should scan for
viruses/worms/trojans/parasites anytime

wrote in message
>> My ICF on XP show about nine ports. My current problem
>> is huge network bottleneck coming from somewhere. Did
>> something infiltrate my (er, static) IP address during
>> the four hours I turned off the ICF for testing?
>> Presently, all email and internet has slowed to a crawl
>> on only this PC, all others are fine.

Thank for these tips. By viewing the ICF settings, you
can control what ports are monitored by ICF. There I
discovered all these additional ports, named msmsg.<port
number>. Using System Restore I rolled back to a week
ago and those ports are gone, but there is still a huge
bottleneck. Just now, whilst trying to figure out why
Outlook times out every other message, etc., I discovered
when viewing the "View Network Connections" that in
addition to my "Local Area Connection", "Internet
Gateway" was above this, actively funneling tons of
packets. My next move is to download your recommended TCP
checker. Also, I did just hook up the D-Link DI-604
Router/Firewall to give it a test, but what I describe
above is occuring after this firewall was placed in
front, so something else still happening. Lastly, I ran
a Norton AV 2004 total drives inspection and it came up
empty. Any other thoughts? Can I return a favor? Rob

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Firewall now has numerous ports???
    ... Where are you getting information about XP ICF showing nine ports? ... certainly could have suffered some sort of attack connected to the internet ... which is compact and can show you detailed information on network processes, ...
  • Re: Is my ISP Blocking Ports ?
    ... The ICF must be told to open the ports that the service needs. ... Search Google on using Port Forwarding and ICF or Opening Ports on the ... > get the same problem if I disable the internet connection firewall. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Keine eigenen Server möglich unter XP
    ... ICF zusätzlich aktiviert. ... Weil ich keine eigenen Server laufen lassen kann. ... Interessanterweise melden die Clients zwar ... Ports bzw. IPs manuell hinzufügen... ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.networking)
  • Re: Firewall now has numerous ports???
    ... themselves to the ports list. ... it sounds like you've got ICS turned on as well somewhere on your network. ... errored packets or maybe just inappropriate numbers of outgoing packets. ... >>> My ICF on XP show about nine ports. ...
  • ICF on multi-home interface doesnt work
    ... In our XP Embedded systems we need to multi-home the ethernet interface ... and enable the Internet Connection Firewall. ... Remote Desktop and all other ports stop working while the secondary IP ... ICF is disabled. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)