Re: (Legible) Help Can't get "Folder Redirection"

From: Roger (ramsy_at_despammed.com)
Date: 11/18/03

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:35:52 -0800

Paul,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this one. I ultimately had
to bite the bullet and scratched out my root partion an extra 2GB.

I did find out how to get user folders off the root partition, without
"Folder Redirection", domains, or server software. 'Right-drag the folder
to its desired new location and select "Move Here"'. This manuever does not
update registry MRU's, but I soon discovered MRU keys can be disabled for
security reasons anyway.

I moved My Documents, Desktop, Favorites, SendTo, & Start Menu folders from
the root, along with waxing windows components like Games, etc., which got
me to 30% free space. Compressing the drive to save disk space got me to
31% free, but Defrag still needed more room to finish its job. The real
gain I got seemed to be faster desktop wallpaper between window tasks.
Perhaps adding user activity to an otherwise solitary swap disk resulted in
less disk-spin-up.

For anyone else who's interested, the XP powertoy Tweak UI "Special Folders"
may list the only ../client user folders in XP that can be relocated in this
way. Moving other user folders caused sharing violations. Moving the
"Quick Launch" folder caused a "Cannot Create Toolbar" error. A script at
www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_toolbar_error.htm recreates the Quick
Launch folder.

Thanks again Paul.

Roger R.
Fullerton, CA

"Paul Adare" <padare@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> Roger <ramsy@despammed.com> says...
> >
> > Using XP Pro SP1, Is it possible to create a site, domain, or
organizational
> > unit with a single-user (admin), then link it to a Group Policy object?
>
> No, you need a domain controller to do this, and that requires one of
> the server operating systems.
>
> --
> Paul Adare
> What use is it that knowledge mounts?
> It's knowing something good that counts.
> Friedrich von Logau

Relevant Pages

  • Re: boot.ini disappears on restart or startup XP Pro
    ... procedure it seems to boot normally. ... I have 11 files in the root directory of c:\ plus 17 folders. ... It isn't the number of files of folders in the root causing your ... sounds like malware to me. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Unable to change drive letters
    ... folders but there is nothg but folders in the roots of both partitions. ... "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot ... John Doue ... look at the root of the other drive (c if I understand and tell us ...
    ... folders but there is nothg but folders in the roots of both partitions. ... "John Doue" wrote in message ... Boot.ini is a file located at the root of the boot drive which points to where Windows files are located. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Unable to change drive letters
    ... folders but there is nothg but folders in the roots of both partitions. ... "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot ... look at the root of the other drive (c if I understand and tell us ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Users accessing C$
    ... group had Allow rights to 'Create folders & append data' on this root. ... >> or other computer with the possible exception of their user profile if they ... >> or run applications from they need no permissions on other folders. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)