Re: Product Keys

From: Jupiter Jones [MVP] (jones_jupiter_at_hotnomail.com)
Date: 11/17/03

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:44:40 -0700

Does it fit this:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904
If it does, you most likely have a pirated Windows XP Pro.
If it is pirated, you need to contact the seller and/or Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.asp
One of the features of Service Pack 1 is to detect pirated copies of
windows XP.
Also you have 3 options to become legal:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303661
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314052
This may or may not work depending on the installation options used.
2. Perform a Clean Install with the OS of your choice destroying ALL
data.
3. Purchase Windows XP Pro (Home will not work) and perform a Repair
Installation using the new valid key and CD:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:
"Dano" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was installing XP pro on a system, used the product key
> accidentally from a system that was already in use,
> everything set up just fine until I tried to do online MS
> Updates, said Product key was invalid, have a new XP Pro
> OS still in the box and want to change the Product key to
> the new key so we can do our live updates.
>
> How do I change to the new product key without completely
> reinstalling the OS?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows XP Product Activation
    ... I bought an IBM ThinkCentre preloaded with Windows XP Pro. ... >authentic product key without reinstallation. ... Your IBM Thinkpad probably has an image of the original XP install ...
  • Re: Product Key
    ... You need to purchase a version of XP that is the same as that on your ... It is very likely that you have XP Pro installed. ... product key used during it's installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Question about WinXP and OEM install...
    ... If I have a Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade Ver 2002, can I legally get a 'copy' of the Windows XP Home Upgrade with SP2 cd? ... but you can easily create one of your own by slipstreaming the service pack into the installation files. ... does this mean I can install WinXP Home on this computer with this Key? ... For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa. ...
  • Re: XP repair install / EULA issue...
    ... up on), how an MS product code gets "embedded," into a specific Windows ... legally acceptable, to "repair install" a pirate Windows installation, with ... e.g. a XP Home ed. system box has come in for repair, ... If you had another UNUSED and GENERIC OEM license (Product key and all - ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Pro re-install fails at pci.sys
    ... I could not boot into any version of windows XP nor even get a response from ... I can boot off the XP Pro CD into the Recovery Console. ... detects the only installation of Windows and requests my correct admin ... If someone says to run memtest86, you can say that you know memtest86+ ...