Re: Closing ports

From: cato (antispam_at_zattox.com)
Date: 10/26/03

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:09:32 -0500

Hi Curtis,
In XP pro the TCP/IP filtering panel has "Permit All" or "Permit Only"
possibilities. It means practically zero possibility to close a port from
filter control. Maybe a Microsoft Professional has the full info to list all
permitted ports except the ones to be closed :-) Plus it must have some
automated way to fill in the necessary data.

By and large I found in XP the TCP/IP filtering is only for decoration! Why
to advise a totally unusable service? Is there some hidden trick with which
the lack of direct denomination of the unwanted ports can be worked around?
Until than I stay with closing unnecessary services and time by time
security scan ports.
Thanks,
Mike