Re: Documents and Settings subfolders

From: Dave D (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/25/03

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:09:54 -0700

Roger,

Thanks much for the more detailed analysis.
It's interesting the other ways you can see this
phenomenom happening - and they make sense to me.
Unfortunately, I appear to be in that elusive fourth cause
(i.e. - unknown) category!

It will probably have to remain a mystery to us all (which
is both good and bad) because I went in and deleted my
user accounts (actually deleted the admin accounts in safe
mode and then the limited accounts in normal mode) and the
recreated accounts are NOT experiencing this problem.
I've tried messing with it - but can't get the
account.computer profile to recreate. So it looks
fixed...for now? Bizarre.
Thank you again. And if you think there is something else
worth trying or checking anyway, please let me know.

created.

>There are three circumstances I am aware of where this
>happens, well, now maybe four.
>1. if the first profile for the use has become
unrecognizable
>2. in a domain if domain account Joe and local account Joe
> both use the machine
>3. if multiple boots installed on the machine end up using
> the same Documents and Settings for profiling
>
>Your circumstance, where a newly defined account gets two
>profile folders created on its first login is new to me.
>
>What happens if you define a test account, log in, and
then
>do something like making a shortcut on the desktop and
>check to see that it is in the D&S\account.computer
profile.
>Then log off and in as an admin, delete the D&S\account
>profile and rename the D&S\account.computer profile to
>be simply D&S\account ?
>
>Was this system cloned ?
>
>--
>Roger Abell
>Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: Security)
>MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
>"Dave D" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Roger - Thank you - and yes. But...what I'm asking is
why
>> is the system automatically creating TWO essentially
>> duplicate user profile folders for ONE user account??
>> P.S. - Other people I know with XP have not experienced
>> this phenomenom. If they have a user named "joe", they
>> only have one user profile folder, rather than one
>> called "joe" and one called "joe.COMPUTER1".

brand
4
>> machine.
created
names
>> account
folder
using
>> the
time
extension, so
joe.computer1
they
logged
don't
>> this?
>> >>

>> >.
>> >

>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Documents and Settings subfolders
    ... in a domain if domain account Joe and local account Joe ... profile folders created on its first login is new to me. ... > duplicate user profile folders for ONE user account?? ...
  • Re: 1 Notebook unable to log in
    ... NETDOM RESETPWD Resets the machine account password for the domain ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... | need to migrate their old domain profile [favorites, My Documents, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: MSN Dial Up Wiped Out Mysteriously
    ... | a corrupted profile can produce all the symptoms I mentioned. ... | to somehow create a new account, move things over from the corrupt ... | then eliminate the corrupt account. ... | dialogue box and click on "Properties" nothing comes up or happens. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Outlook 2003 and XP SP2
    ... profile, ... You can only have one exchange account ... Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] ... Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)
  • Re: Help with configuration
    ... option cleared on the RDP-tcp connection Client properties tab for "Use ... If I do NOT specify a roaming profile path, do I still need to enable ... Users should logon to the workstation using their domain account ... Your GPO settings do not apply to your Terminal Server. ...