Re: Documents and Settings subfolders

From: Dave D (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/25/03

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:09:54 -0700

Roger,

Thanks much for the more detailed analysis.
It's interesting the other ways you can see this
phenomenom happening - and they make sense to me.
Unfortunately, I appear to be in that elusive fourth cause
(i.e. - unknown) category!

It will probably have to remain a mystery to us all (which
is both good and bad) because I went in and deleted my
user accounts (actually deleted the admin accounts in safe
mode and then the limited accounts in normal mode) and the
recreated accounts are NOT experiencing this problem.
I've tried messing with it - but can't get the
account.computer profile to recreate. So it looks
fixed...for now? Bizarre.
Thank you again. And if you think there is something else
worth trying or checking anyway, please let me know.

created.

>There are three circumstances I am aware of where this
>happens, well, now maybe four.
>1. if the first profile for the use has become
unrecognizable
>2. in a domain if domain account Joe and local account Joe
> both use the machine
>3. if multiple boots installed on the machine end up using
> the same Documents and Settings for profiling
>
>Your circumstance, where a newly defined account gets two
>profile folders created on its first login is new to me.
>
>What happens if you define a test account, log in, and
then
>do something like making a shortcut on the desktop and
>check to see that it is in the D&S\account.computer
profile.
>Then log off and in as an admin, delete the D&S\account
>profile and rename the D&S\account.computer profile to
>be simply D&S\account ?
>
>Was this system cloned ?
>
>--
>Roger Abell
>Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: Security)
>MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
>"Dave D" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Roger - Thank you - and yes. But...what I'm asking is
why
>> is the system automatically creating TWO essentially
>> duplicate user profile folders for ONE user account??
>> P.S. - Other people I know with XP have not experienced
>> this phenomenom. If they have a user named "joe", they
>> only have one user profile folder, rather than one
>> called "joe" and one called "joe.COMPUTER1".

brand
4
>> machine.
created