Re: Accessing encrypted files after Reinstalling XP

From: David (carpooldummy_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/01/03

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 10:27:33 -0700

"G" <GeesSound@comcast.net> wrote in news:043501c36f7a$47a56220
$a301280a@phx.gbl:

> I reinstalled XP when I rebuilt my system using a
> barebones. I have a folder that contains encrypted files,
> which I have been unable to access since reinstalling XP.
> I was able to click "decrypt" for the folder itself, but
> when trying to decrypt the files I get an error "Access
> Denied". I am logged on as administrator. Any
> suggestions?

  I suggest you make sure you know what you are doing before making
possibly permanent changes to your files.

  If it were easy to crack the encryption, the encryption would be
worthless. A anyone could just go to the net and get somethng to crack it
with. DUH!

David

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ABN Tape - Found
    ... time it would take to crack the key and decrypt the data. ... If this, then, is the measure of the strength of an encryption system, I ... I don't pretend to be an expert, but it appears that a lot of the cases where various kinds of encrypted data was "cracked" involved known data, where the cracker can easily tell when they have found the right key. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: file encryption
    ... I have not certificate or key to decrypt it. ... the encryption is doing it's job. ... file to crack it, it would be worthless. ...
  • Re: Can encryrpted packets be cracked by middle man?
    ... not need to crack it, you may just need to capture it and reuse it. ... with AES and sends that on the wire, I don't need to crack AES, as I have ... >> but good 128-bit encryption is far from trivial to break. ... What is the chance that someone could use the "DES Cracker"-like ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Analog Hole Bill Would Require Secret Tech No One Can Examine
    ... >> Nobody has managed to crack VideoCipher encryption on C-band satellite ... >> Nobody managed to crack the triple-DES protection on Divx DVDs. ... triple-DES is used for key management. ... > large enough, someone may eventually hack. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Is Excel Security worth anything?
    ... The Wb you want to crack now has the PW of your new Wb ..... ... Microsoft Strong Crypto but are they employing dictionary and brute force ... If I generate a truly random key of say 12 char or longer will ... I did read about the "flaw" found in MS-Office encryption but it seems to ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)