Re: Sharing XP on home computers

From: Bruce Chambers (bchambers_at_nospam.cableone.net)
Date: 08/31/03

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:56:01 -0600

Greetings --

    As it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating systems,
it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and copyright
laws, if not technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each
computer on which it is installed. The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft
mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more
difficult) the sort of multiple installations you're asking about.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
"Tim Gause" <tgause2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Question: Can you share XP software on two computers at
> home or do you have to make a 2nd purchase?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: XP Pro on two home machines?
    ... technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which ... to prevent multiple installations ... Must I purchase two seperate ... > the full XP Pro and use it on both? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP on another machine
    ... technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which ... to prevent multiple installations ... "Sassi" wrote in message ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Installing XP - license question
    ... Can I install XP on my computer and my dad's computer using the same CD? ... you still need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on which you install it. ... (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine final applicability in your locale.) ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: One Windows XP on multiple Computers
    ... > Can a single registered Windows XP program be loaded onto multiple computers ... purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on which you install it. ...
  • Re: Windows XP
    ... it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA, ... technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which ... to prevent multiple installations ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)