Re: 822925 Cum IE Patch causes problem with XP built in admin account

From: PA Bear (PABear_at_mvps.org)
Date: 08/26/03

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:50:17 -0400

Please include all of the previous message in your replies. You may
crosspost to any other NG but please do so selectively.

Only other thing I can think of: Are you logged in as Administator when
installing the update(s)?

Do all of the installs leave you with Urlmon.dll version 6.00.2800.1226
(assuming 32-bit WinXP)? Anything telling in Windows Update.log?

--
~PA Bear
CC: Kelly
HiMan wrote:
>> "PA Bear" wrote...
>>> Are your virus definitions up-to-date?  Have you run a full system
>>> scan after downloading new definitions?  I suggest ruling this
>>> possibility out.
>>
>> Yep and yep. Done that.
>>
>>> Have you installed all of the latest criticals via Windows Update?
>>> Do you disable your anti-virus application prior to installing
>>> updates and patches?
>>
>> As I mentioned, I first installed the downloaded patch while offline
>> (the way I usually do updates). During troubleshooting I
>> re-downloaded it, in case there could have been some file
>> corruption. When this made no difference, I installed it directly
>> from Windows Update while online. I did always disable my AV for the
>> install.
>>
>>> Did you try uninstalling Q822925 (Add/Remove Programs>Internet
>>> Explorer Q822925) and installing it anew (per the above) via
>>> Windows Update?
>>
>> Yes, this was one of my tests. I also tried installing via Windows
>> Update to a restored backup (no possible previous traces of this
>> update). I must have tried at least 15 install variations by now :-(
>> . E.g. also from built in admin account, from other admin account.
>>
>>> A much better forum for this query would be
>>
>> ...Any advice, how to post to yet a third group without "cluttering"
>> the place with identical threads?
>> <snip>
>> As I mentioned, I can sort of "pinpoint" urlmon.dll as the file,
>> that causes this problem on my machine. What has me stumped, is that
>> only the built in admin account gets messed up.
<paste>