Re: 822925 Cum IE Patch causes problem with XP built in admin account

From: PA Bear (PABear_at_mvps.org)
Date: 08/26/03

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:50:17 -0400

Please include all of the previous message in your replies. You may
crosspost to any other NG but please do so selectively.

Only other thing I can think of: Are you logged in as Administator when
installing the update(s)?

Do all of the installs leave you with Urlmon.dll version 6.00.2800.1226
(assuming 32-bit WinXP)? Anything telling in Windows Update.log?

--
~PA Bear
CC: Kelly
HiMan wrote:
>> "PA Bear" wrote...
>>> Are your virus definitions up-to-date?  Have you run a full system
>>> scan after downloading new definitions?  I suggest ruling this
>>> possibility out.
>>
>> Yep and yep. Done that.
>>
>>> Have you installed all of the latest criticals via Windows Update?
>>> Do you disable your anti-virus application prior to installing
>>> updates and patches?
>>
>> As I mentioned, I first installed the downloaded patch while offline
>> (the way I usually do updates). During troubleshooting I
>> re-downloaded it, in case there could have been some file
>> corruption. When this made no difference, I installed it directly
>> from Windows Update while online. I did always disable my AV for the
>> install.
>>
>>> Did you try uninstalling Q822925 (Add/Remove Programs>Internet
>>> Explorer Q822925) and installing it anew (per the above) via
>>> Windows Update?
>>
>> Yes, this was one of my tests. I also tried installing via Windows
>> Update to a restored backup (no possible previous traces of this
>> update). I must have tried at least 15 install variations by now :-(
>> . E.g. also from built in admin account, from other admin account.
>>
>>> A much better forum for this query would be
>>
>> ...Any advice, how to post to yet a third group without "cluttering"
>> the place with identical threads?
>> <snip>
>> As I mentioned, I can sort of "pinpoint" urlmon.dll as the file,
>> that causes this problem on my machine. What has me stumped, is that
>> only the built in admin account gets messed up.
<paste>

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 822925 Cum IE Patch causes problem with XP built in admin account
    ... Q822925) and installing it anew via Windows Update? ... >> It causes the built in Admin account to be unusable. ... >> that My Computer shows up as being in the My Computer zone, ...
  • Solution? 822925 Cum IE Patch causes problem with XP built in admin account
    ... Downloaded the patch to my hard drive. ... >put all drives in restricted zone, ... >Another existing admin account can be used just fine, ... >installing the patch. ...
  • 822925 Cum IE Patch causes problem with XP built in admin account
    ... It causes the built in Admin account to be unusable. ... Computer shows up as being in the My Computer zone, ... installing the patch to a repeatedly restored and changed original. ...
  • Re: KB918899 fails to install
    ... I have net access. ... Switch the progam file folder back to ... Have you tried installing it manually while logged in as ... and the Admin Account i created. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: KB918899 fails to install
    ... Forgot to mention this in previous post, and i couldn't cancel it intime ... Have you tried installing it manually while logged in as Administrator ... then at the end it says setup canceled. ... I am the Admin on the systen and was in the admin account. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)