Re: Password problem

From: Jupiter Jones [MVP] (jones_jupiter_at_hotnomail.com)
Date: 08/15/03

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:13:02 -0600

Just type the 14 character password.
The other 2 characters have scrolled off.
Ignore what you see and continue.

Otherwise:
The password is Case Sensitive.
Check Caps Lock and try various of Capital combinations.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305
If you do not have a Password Recovery Disk, it is to late to make it.
Or
Log in to any account that has Administrator access.
Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
Select the user and change the password.

Reboot to Safe Mode, select Administrator, leave password blank.
Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
Select the user and change the password.
If you are using Windows XP Pro and have encrypted data, you may
permanently lose access to the encrypted data.

Here is another option:
http://www.wininternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/index.asp

Another option is to install Windows XP on another partition and take
Ownership of your data.
You could also perform another installation on the same partition,
although this is not a permanent fix and it is recommended to perform
a Clean Installation after retrieving your data.

After this is resolved, take precautions to not lose the password.

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:
"Dwain" <Dwainp47_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> After changing my password to log into XP Home, I inputted
> a 14-character password not knowing that only a 12
> character will be accepted.  Now I can not log into my
> account because it will not accept my 14 or taking the
> last 2 characters to make it a 12-character password and
> that still didn't work.  There is no other account on the
> computer to make another and transfer the old account
> over.  Can anyone help?  Or am I dead in the water?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I am unable to use my computer...
    ... If you do not have a Password Recovery Disk, it is to late to make it. ... Log in to any account that has Administrator access. ... Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel. ... If you are using Windows XP Pro and have encrypted data, ...
  • Re: lost administrator password
    ... >Log in to any account that has Administrator access. ... >Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel. ... >permanently lose access to the encrypted data. ... >> rights under any other account. ...
  • Re: My computer FORGOT MY PASSWORD!
    ... Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel. ... If you are using Windows XP Pro and have encrypted data, ... Another option is to install Windows XP on another partition and take ... > mad that I put a password on the normal account and made ...
  • Re: forgot password
    ... Log in to any account that has Administrator access. ... Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel. ... If you are using Windows XP Pro and have encrypted data, ... > rights. ...
  • Re: forgot administrator password
    ... Reboot to Safe Mode, select Administrator, leave password blank. ... Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel. ... If you are using Windows XP Pro and have encrypted data, ... > account that was set up for a friend, but, I gave him ...