Re: blaster worm

From: Nicholas (mrxp2004_at_nospamyahoo.com)
Date: 08/13/03

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:14:23 -0500

June --

The first thing you should do is enable Windows XP's built-in Firewall:

1. In Control Panel, double-click Networking and Internet Connections, and
    then click Network Connections.
2. Right-click the connection on which you would like to enable ICF, and
    then click Properties.
3. On the Advanced tab, click the box to select the option to Protect my
    computer or network.

Download the following to a new folder on your Desktop:

W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

Blaster Worm: Critical Security Patch for Windows XP (32-bit)
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2354406C-C5B6-44AC-9532-3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en

Then read and follow the procedures outlined in the following articles:

What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm

W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

MS03-026: Buffer Overrun in RPC Interface May Allow Code Execution
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823980

MS-MVP Kelly Theriot's Excellent Repair Solution:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm#rpc

Essential Security Tools for Home Office Users
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/columns/security/5min/5min-105.asp

Last, but not least, consider purchasing and installing a good
internet security package, such as:

Norton Internet Security 2003
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

-- Includes Norton AntiVirus 2003
-- Includes Norton Personal Firewall
-- Includes prevention of annoying web pop-ups
-- Includes Parental Controls
-- All in one, easy-to-install & manage package

--
Nicholas
"June" <dolley@penn.com> wrote in message:
| I've tried downloading the WXP patch for the worm, but to
| no avail. My good computer has the worm, and
| I downloaded the patch on my spare computer, and now it
| doesn't want to work right. I have no firewall on either
| computer, and can't obtain one from Trend Micro. Help?
| I'm SCREWED ROYALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Relevant Pages

  • RE: can ping but not browse
    ... I have stopped the firewall. ... # are safed from all (security) hazards. ... firewall/bastion host to the internet ... # internet and to an internal network, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Using a Linksys router, should I also use Zonealarm?
    ... public internet to access corporate network. ... In the "old days" when people used to use Dial-In instead of VPN you ware ... protected by corporate Firewall -- since there was no public Internet ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Hidden Ports
    ... this is done by the firewalls to prevent authenticated files from being replaced by trojans and connecting to the internet. ... kerio firewall ... or a program that already had network access attempted to ... > Depending on the Access setting for a component, ZoneAlarm Pro ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] NAT Pseudo Security
    ... for protection from the Internet. ... if network A is connecting ... It only protects from connections originated from outside world. ... firewall with deep packet inspection. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Entire Network
    ... Internet access is different and just because a firewall isn't ... Second, if it isn't the firewall, then often it is a case of the system ... any way a network guru. ... > The network connection works just fine from both computers for internet ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)