hard drive looks corrupt unless logged on as admin

From: Phillip (medad_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: 07/24/03

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:50:37 -0700

Here goes:

I have winxp pro and four harddrives.

It all started when there were a few mp3's that I had
downloaded from easynews and I could not access them -
they had been part of a zip file containing several mp3's
and unzipped without incident. However, they would not
play - then when I tried to move and/or delete them, I
got file access errors. I am the administrator/owner of
the computer, but it behaved as if I did not have rights
to manipulate the files. I tried messing with admin
privileges and, at last, rebooted as administrator in
safe mode and was able to manipulate the files without
any problem. But when I rebooted into normal mode,
my "D" drive (the location of these files) appeared
empty! It showed up in my computer, but properties
indicated 0 bytes size and 0 bytes of files. When I
tried to click it it gave me an error message (I don't
recall what). Then, I tried restoring the computer and
still had the same problem - but when I rebooted into
safe mode as admin everything looked fine . . . So, I at
last figured out how to log on as admin in "non-safe"
mode and - low and behold - everything looks fine!
Problem solved? Well, kind of -but not totally. I
understand being logged on as administrator carries
serious security risks - I am wondering if someone
accessed my security settings from cyber-space to create
this mess in the first place. Also, it'd be nice to have
all my user settings from before. And, I cannot for the
life of me figure out why the D drive appears empty and
useless in my computer with my old user account, but not
when I am logged on as admin. Any guidance would be
greatly appreciated.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I cant log into my own account.
    ... admin, and access the files that way. ... I have not tried logging on in Safe Mode as my Username. ... When I am not in Safe Mode, the option for "Administrator" does not ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP (SP2) user passwords
    ... Safe Mode requires an administrator to log on the machine. ... I always suggest checking who has Admin accounts, ... administrator account, which normally does not appear, and in SP2, I don't ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: I cant log into my own account.
    ... (the content.ie5 one in Local Settings). ... admin, and access the files that way. ... Since you mentioned 'Safe Mode, logon as administrator' --> Can I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I cant log into my own account.
    ... which I thought was a bit weird since my username IS the ... admin, and access the files that way. ... Do you ACTUALLY logon as "administrator"? ... Since you mentioned 'Safe Mode, logon as administrator' --> Can I assume you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Alternative to Windows Explorer
    ... One drawback if you use that "runas" approach then you really won't know ... Administrator versus their using their actual account. ... admin, a variation of their normal account. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
    (Security-Basics)