Administrator and System Rights

From: Cory Bocach (cb29_at_attbi.com)
Date: 06/11/03

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:44:11 -0700

I have 1 user on my XP Home install that is the Computer
Administrator. However, I am trying to install Norton
Antivirus and it is throwing an error telling me that I
must have administrator rights to have access to the
correct logs files and have them be "writable."

I know in Windows 2000 you have the ability to assign
system rights via the Local Security Policies. Is there a
way to do that in XP Home? I've gotten messages from Easy
CD Creator as well, telling me to login as a user with
administrator rights to complete the install.

Is this a defect within XP Home?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Draft I: Why You Dont Want to Install Software
    ... All these functions should be under the control of the system administrator. ... > idea of contacting your network consultant to install software probably ... > could install software. ... Windows 9x was notoriously unstable and fragile. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Draft I: Why You Dont Want to Install Software
    ... that evil IT guy-- the party pooper who runs his network with an iron fist. ... > been made members of the 'local administrator' group. ... >> idea of contacting your network consultant to install software probably ... >> could install software. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • SP2 - Access Denied error when installing software
    ... we'll repair Windows and then install SP2. ... > Okay here's what I've found in the registry looking at the permissions in the ... So I added my account and "Users " groups. ... > By the way I did all this from safe mode under the "Administrator" account. ...
    (microsoft.public.games)
  • Re: Question on XP network security
    ... the user has administrator rights. ... >necessary privileges on his/her own workstation, ... have you considered using SMS to install apps remotely? ...
  • Re: No boot and no administrator password!
    ... You'll need a new partition, ... file ownership and permissions supersede administrator rights. ... > I cannot do a clean install and lose all my data knowing> that there is an 'unconventional' way past this problem. ... Boot the system, start> tapping F8, when>>the menu appears, select "Last Known Good Configuration,"> press enter and>>see if that resolves it. ...