Re: XP Slowdown - 811493

From: Jupiter Jones [MVP] (jones_jupiter_at_hotnomail.com)
Date: 05/21/03

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:02:21 -0600

Tim;
I will assume you would like a solution and I will not ignore this
post as I usually do with language such as yours (implied).
Follow this link:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
Look for "When attempting to access the Windows Update Web site you
receive the following message: Thank You -- you must be running..."

Otherwise:
Post back with the information from step 9 if all else fails.

1. Check Date/Time

2. Disable firewall

3. (Windows XP):
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;326815
Don't forget steps 6-9 catroot2 file.
Do this whether SP1 is the issue or not.

4. (Windows XP)
Go to Control Panel.
Click Windows Update on the left panel

5. Go to Internet Options in the Control Panel:
Delete Cookies
Delete Files (check box "Delete all offline content")
Clear History

6. If you use AOL, minimize AOL and open Internet Explorer and try
Windows Update

7. Set a language in Internet Explorer:
To check the language setting in Internet Explorer:
(1.) Click "Tools" and then select "Internet Options".
(2.) Click "Languages".
(3.) Make sure at least one language is listed in the "Language
Options" dialog box.

8. Disable the options "Automatically detect settings" and "Use
automatic configuration script."
To do this:
(1.) Open Internet Explorer.
(2.) Click "Tools," and then click "Internet Options."
(3.) Click "Connections," and then click "LAN Settings."
(4.) Make sure the check boxes for "Automatically detect settings" and
"Use automatic configuration script" are not selected.

9. Upgrade to Internet Explorer Service Pack 1 if not already
installed:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp

10. Check the Windows Update Log in the "C:\Windows\Windows
Update.log" for the exact error message.
See if something here fits
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:
"Tim..." <tx2inbound-invalid-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In news:O25bzaQDDHA.1820@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Jupiter Jones <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote :
>
> > That is why most suggest uninstalling the patch if it causes
issues on
> > your computer.
>

> Oh yeah ... it caused an issue alright.
>
> Uninstalled it, and now i can't get to the Windows Update site.
> All i get is some message that in order to use update, i need to be
running
> a Windows OS !!
> I am, a broken XP one by all accounts!!!
>
> F*#~ing Microsoft !!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows Update fails with Error 0x80072EE4
    ... To check the language setting in Internet Explorer: ... The foregoing is taken from the Windows Update Troubleshooter page. ... Following is only a basic first-pass checklist of settings for Internet Explorer browser, tailored for smoother entry into Windows Update. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows Update fails with Error 0x80072EE4
    ... The error is caused by SSL. ... To check the language setting in Internet Explorer: ... The foregoing is taken from the Windows Update Troubleshooter page. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows Update fails with Error 0x80072EE4
    ... To check the language setting in Internet Explorer: ... The foregoing is taken from the Windows Update Troubleshooter page. ... Following is only a basic first-pass checklist of settings for Internet Explorer browser, tailored for smoother entry into Windows Update. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: XP Secuity Update
    ... Or "Install stops at 0% when using the AOL Browser" ... Click Windows Update on the left panel ... Set a language in Internet Explorer: ... To check the language setting in Internet Explorer: ...
  • Re: unable to download security updates
    ... What EXACTLY is happening and what is the error message? ... Click Windows Update on the left panel ... Set a language in Internet Explorer: ... Click "Tools" and then select "Internet Options". ...