Need help with 2 questions...

From: Needles (danielneedleman_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 05/18/03

Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 02:56:08 -0700

First some background info. I have a box with XP Pro on
it. I have set up 5 power user accounts plus myself as
the administrator.

1. How do I enable the power users to install software
that will change entries in the registry (eg MSN
Messenger)? I assume I use a group policy but I'm not
sure how I implement it.

2. When the users install a program (eg a computer game)
the program will install a shortcut on the desktop. How
do I get the shortcut to appear on just the desktop of
the user who wants the program rather than all the users'
desktops?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Adobe Reader 7.0
    ... Administrator or User/Power User Rights Needed to Install ... Windows XP - Shell/User ... Clicking on the shortcut brought up the reader. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Handling Vista !
    ... Cris, ... Im wondering how we get round the sbs script when users are not allowed to install applications.... ... Interesting thing is you ask to delete the icon for the shortcut and it say ' Permission needed, Destination Folder Denied ' Interesting part is it seems to think your are deleting the destination folder...lol. ... I put administrator password in and shortcut deletes. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Domain issues
    ... you can set your computer as part of a workgroup with the same ... install software to your hearts content. ... administrator or power user is for that pc locally not on ...
  • Cannot modify user group
    ... power user to an administrator. ... The error is "You must have administrator ... rights to install this program." ... accounts' group properties with no success. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.new_user)
  • Re: "Administrator" required
    ... Create a Shortcut to the Executable. ... Then run it as Administrator. ... > "Administrator" can install the update. ... > Administrator account. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)