Re: I need to change the folder attributes but the changes do not stay

From: Roger Abell [MVP] (mvpNOSPAM_at_asu.edu)
Date: 05/01/03

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:17:33 -0700

With Pro if you uncheck the Simple sharing box at the
bottom of the View tab in the Folder Options, then the
Security dialog will be available on every object in the
NTFS filesystem (in their Properties, r-click).

Now, if you grant Users modify at the directory that
roots the area where you want them to have this ability
it will be inherited on down in so far as some subdir
does not block inheritance.

Note that you do not want to do this with directories
that are installed as part of the system.

--
Roger Abell
MS MVP (Security, Windows), MCDBA,  MCSE both
"Max Jenius" <ferrispd@pwcs.edu> wrote in message news:03ce01c30f2b$cc465e80$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> We are using Xp pro with the service pack 1 installed.  I
> have applied all the recent hotfixes (as of april 3rd).  I
> think I know what you mean about the permissions.  How can
> I set these up so all the users have access to write or
> modify these folders?
>
> thanks again
> Max

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Administrator/User security issues
    ... i have setup all the accounts, ... folders for testing the security. ... permissions but the admin. ...
  • Sharing USER folders on a small network - Sharing & Security Setti
    ... FEEDBACK IS WELCOMED AND ENCOURAGED ABOUT SECURITY ISSUES OF THIS *TIP*! ... XP Pro, MCE and Home.) ... can access OTHER folders, and the desired USER folders have been shared. ... in Win XP Home and getting around the "Simple File Sharing" problem. ...
  • Re: Windows Search 4.0 restore indexing locations
    ... There is only F-Secure Client Security 7.11 (antivirus/spy+firewall and so ... in the background when you installed WinXP SP3 or Windows Search 4? ... but are not limited to Ad-aware Pro Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer, ... added some folders I like to keep indexed, and it will keep those folders ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: userinit.exe fails to initialize...no users allowed
    ... If Pro you could try info at ... Restore XP to installation Security Defaults ... > into customizing my folders, etc, so that certain users ... went into their security settings under ...
  • Re: Mapped drive access
    ... >>drive on 'Accounts'. ... >>Users' and 'Guest' folders can be opened. ... With XP Pro, ... >that the Guest account is enabled, and has an identical, ...