Re: why do i get the same security updates?they are old

From: Torgeir Bakken (MVP) (Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com)
Date: 03/17/03

From: "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 00:54:46 +0100

jim wrote:

> same updates what going on?please e mail me with answer

Microsoft says :

<quote>
The Automatic Update service repeatedly offering the same update packages
after a successful installation.

When users access the Windows Update site no updates are available even though
the Automatic Update service continues to reoffer successfully installed
updates.

This is a known issue. The current workaround is to Stop/Restart the Automatic
Update service via Service Manager. If the problem persists it may be due to
detection conflicts in the registry and we recommend contacting Microsoft
Support. http://support.microsoft.com

Additional known issues and solutions can be found on the Windows Update
Troubleshooter page: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

This includes up to date information on some of the more common problems that
users are running into.

Windows Update newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsupdate
</quote>

Renaming or deleting the Catroot2 folder may also solve the problem.

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;326815

Follow the steps 6 to 8 in the Resolution section of above link (do a reboot
first so the computer is "fresh"). Then try to install the update again.

The link above is for SP1, but the Catroot2 problem is now also surfacing in
recommended/critical updates and not only for the SP1 upgrade.

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page