Re: why do i get the same security updates?they are old

From: Torgeir Bakken (MVP) (Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com)
Date: 03/17/03

From: "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 00:54:46 +0100

jim wrote:

> same updates what going on?please e mail me with answer

Microsoft says :

<quote>
The Automatic Update service repeatedly offering the same update packages
after a successful installation.

When users access the Windows Update site no updates are available even though
the Automatic Update service continues to reoffer successfully installed
updates.

This is a known issue. The current workaround is to Stop/Restart the Automatic
Update service via Service Manager. If the problem persists it may be due to
detection conflicts in the registry and we recommend contacting Microsoft
Support. http://support.microsoft.com

Additional known issues and solutions can be found on the Windows Update
Troubleshooter page: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

This includes up to date information on some of the more common problems that
users are running into.

Windows Update newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsupdate
</quote>

Renaming or deleting the Catroot2 folder may also solve the problem.

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;326815

Follow the steps 6 to 8 in the Resolution section of above link (do a reboot
first so the computer is "fresh"). Then try to install the update again.

The link above is for SP1, but the Catroot2 problem is now also surfacing in
recommended/critical updates and not only for the SP1 upgrade.

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

  • Re: Security update, February 13, 2002 (MSXML 3.0)
    ... >>Above security update comes up almost every time I sign ... The Automatic Update service repeatedly offering the same update packages ... after a successful installation. ... Additional known issues and solutions can be found on the Windows Update ...
  • [Full-Disclosure] Windows Update
    ... Went to windows update last night w/ XP Pro. ... I stop and disable automatic update service, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: windows update
    ... it does not install either way. ... The Automatic Update service repeatedly offering the same update packages after ... Additional known issues and solutions can be found on the Windows Update ...
  • Re: Updates everyday?
    ... > Microsoft everyday. ... The Automatic Update service repeatedly offering the same update packages ... Additional known issues and solutions can be found on the Windows Update ...
  • Re: Fehler 0x80245003
    ... Administrator priviliges to do this? ... What MowGreen means is that you should stop the Windows Update service just ... schaffen, klappt aber nicht. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)