Re: New MSN Messenger Exploit?

From: Dave (c@t)
Date: 03/04/03

From: "Dave" <c@t>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:37:19 -0500

I understand what both of you are saying and appreciate it. This is what is
puzzling me: First for someone to initiate a conversation with me thru
messenger, I must accept them. Second, when they do start a conversation,
the dialog box pops up from the tray and if i dont click on it right away,
it stays minimized in the taskbar. This person got onto my screen without a
prompt to accept them or without me click on the dailog box. It just opened
maximized on my screen. I understand that random spamming is possible, but
how did they by-pass the security or privacy measures in place to avoid
this. See what I'm saying? I do have a screen shot if that will help.
Thanks

"sparhawk" <sparhawk___@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> mac address has everything to do with ip. the mac address
> is supposed to be hard coded into the network card though
> sometimes it can by fake by linksys or other routers just
> in case your provider foces you to have one assigned
> network card (if they told you to change nic they don't).
> what happens is you are leasing the ip for so long usualy
> 24 hours sometimes 72 so if you don't want to replace
> your nic check how long it's leasing for and keep the
> computer off for that long in most cases that's about 24
> hours if you can go a weekend it would probably be best
> and you will have a new ip as the lease will run out and
> the server will unlist the mac address of your nic.
>
> sparhawk

Relevant Pages

  • Re: File syncing word documents
    ... The most popular way is to use the Compare Documents mechanism, ... Call each document up and Turn Track Changes ON as described in the ... Messenger does enable several users to collaborate on the same file in real ... I am afraid I have not had time to test this on the Mac, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: [O.T.] Computer problems
    ... It also reiterates the one basic fact of personal computing - The single weakest link in computing security is the user. ... But what I've been saying is that OS X is *more* secure than Windows. ... Mac users should be aware that if their machines have not yet been attacked, it's merely because the crackers haven't got around to them yet, it doesn't mean they won't or can't. ... "Microsoft wasn't alone in issuing security updates. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Mains leads
    ... people tend to listen to what you are saying. ... However (and don't get me wrong here, I know this is a Mac ... problems with PCs. ... There is of course the chance I could get dissapointed as this has Vista ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Apple Care.....
    ... You quoted a part of my post saying I ... Obviously it isn't a gay thread as I don't get ... as they are killfiled on the mac). ... Internally it stores its tracks in non standard formats and exports as mp3s ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Word 2004 opens a 3x5 document/Word Prefs
    ... Are you saying that Word always opens up with a really small window? ... My last Mac was a G4 ... apple that come with the new imac, I was told to dump my prefs, user, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)