Re: XP personal firewall log viewer

From: Kent W. England [MVP] (kwe@mvps.org)
Date: 02/19/03

From: "Kent W. England [MVP]" <kwe@mvps.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:04:55 -0800

If you want notification of outbound connection attempts, the XP
firewall doesn't monitor outbound connections, so you might rather use
ZoneAlarm, Tiny or one of the other firewall programs that watches
outbound traffic.

Watching inbound traffic is only interesting for a few hours. After
you've seen one port scan, you've seen them all. If you want to check
your inbound security, go to one of the reputable scanning sites like
www.grc.com and scan your system.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows
An easier way to read newsgroup messages is described in
> Does anyone know if there is an application that will allow real-time
> viewing  and alerting using the XP personal firewall.
> At first look, it seems that I have to manually open the log every
> time to
> see if there is any activity.
> Not being notified of issues in real time sort of limits the
> effectiveness
> firewall.
>
> Bill

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Asimov Asks "How People Get New Ideas"
    ... have no internal protections against hostile acts, infection, etc. ... network an the main servers, or between the network and the main ... through the firewall -- by initiating an OUTBOUND connection ... a neat hole through the firewall -- the plug acts as your "inside ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Truly Bizarre outbound traffic when I have open TS connection to DNS server
    ... My foremost reason for posting this behavior on usenet is ... The system was built behind a firewall, and because its our DC, its not on ... outbound connection attempts are made as long as I don't have an active TS ... Id be happy to pay a DNS/DC guru some cash to walk me through my DNS ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: XP personal firewall log viewer
    ... >If you want notification of outbound connection attempts, ... >firewall doesn't monitor outbound connections, ... >ZoneAlarm, Tiny or one of the other firewall programs that watches ...
  • Re: FTP Client With File Encryption For Remote Backup?
    ... well as a firewall on my router) so the firewall would warn that a ... granularity (eg I want IE to access port 80 but I don't want Outlook ... Hee hee. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Printer icon does not show up in the notification area
    ... If a Firewall is enabled, the notification traffic will be blocked ... How to Open Ports in the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall ... An error message may cause a message or icon ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)