Re: Does Local security policy affect Admin group?

From: Doug (H53Pavelow1981@netscape.net)
Date: 02/16/03

From: Doug <H53Pavelow1981@netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:53:40 GMT

After some searching MS Knowledge Base on Group Policy in XP on this
issue I searched for the same in Windows 2000. I had more luck there
and it is possible to lock down while exempting the admin acct. by
copying registry.pol. Look at MS KB article in windows 2000 # 293655
I did this successfully but it is a bit of extra steps. Thanks for the
replies I will try your suggestions as well.

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 06:16:13 GMT, Doug <H53Pavelow1981@netscape.net>
wrote:

> I have created tight security policy on an XP Pro machine.
>Removed My Network Places, Run command, Control Panel , etc. in the
>User configuration/Admin Templates of Group Policy( Local ). The
>Administrator acct. is also affected. This does not make a whole lot
>of sense to me. Can it be locked down without affecting the Admin. I
>would like to lock it down further by not allowing access to the mmc.
>But then if the admin can get to the mmc. Then I'll be stuck. Anyways
>I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
>Thanks.
>Doug

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Does Local security policy affect Admin group?
    ... if you only wanted to exempt an admin account ... > and it is possible to lock down while exempting the admin acct. ... >>User configuration/Admin Templates of Group Policy(Local). ... >>would like to lock it down further by not allowing access to the mmc. ...
  • Re: Group Policy Editor
    ... don't want to let guests run in an admin account. ... If you mean *some* programs - group policy isn't where you do stuff ... Oh - and don't forget to complain to the product developers about ...
  • Re: Screen lock out / power options problem when added to domain
    ... > There screen saver properties are disabled/strange. ... > the LAN password after 15 minutes and when the monitor shuts off. ... > If I log in locally (admin account) I can change the properties. ... > I looked for a group policy for this but can't find anything. ...
  • group policy??
    ... I log 0n as admin and in the MMC dept. ... apply to default user permissions a lock out preventing ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: error when trying to get a remote security policy... Please help!!!
    ... to get the security policy from, infact I have network admin access. ... getting the error "Failed to open Group Policy Object on... ... > onto the remote computer with an account that has admin credentials on the ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)