Re: Firewall

From: Bruce Chambers (bchambers@nospam.cableone.net)
Date: 02/07/03

From: "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospam.cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:55:19 -0700

Greetings --

    AOL has deliberately made their software incompatible with WinXP's
firewall. AOL's proprietary connection applet is deliberately
designed to preclude your setting/adjusting any of its properties, to
include enabling/disabling WinXP's firewall, which is
connection-specific. This is normally of little consequence to most
AOL users, as all are protected from the real Internet behind AOL's
own firewall. Remember, AOL is _not_ an Internet Service Provider;
they're an On-Line Content Provider. Two very different things.

    Contact AOL's tech support for resolution of problems with (or
caused by) their product.

Bruce Chambers
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

----
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH
"NS." <nsotiriadis@aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently using AOL 7.0 as my service provider. I
> tried to follow the instruction from kbhowto kbnetwork
> KB308127 to manually open ports in ICF, but when I right-
> click on internet connection and then click on properties
> nothing happens. I hope somebody can help.
>
> Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2s Firewall
    ... Subject: AW: Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2's Firewall ... If you update a WinXP SP-1 with enabled Internet ... Connection Firewall ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Big hole??
    ... > firewall then even they can't get in, ... > supposedly safe SP2 for Windows XP invites any Internet ... > Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled. ... > in fact is a common configuration and not a rare sight. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Big hole??
    ... do you run a firewall? ... supposedly safe SP2 for Windows XP invites any Internet ... Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled. ... visible in their network at home: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2s Firewall
    ... file and printer sharing is available for network login from any network (I ... Internet Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled." ... Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2's Firewall ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Big hole??