RE: Scheduled Reboot

From: Jack Wang [MS] (jackwa@online.microsoft.com)
Date: 01/22/03

From: jackwa@online.microsoft.com (Jack Wang [MS])
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:22:34 GMT

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your efforts on this issue. The C:\Windows\System32
\shutdown -r command did work on our site with the Administrator
account in RunAs. If you would like to continue troubleshoot the issue, I
suggest you extract a new shutdown.exe file from the Windows XP Setup
disc to replace the current file.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang
Microsoft Online Support Professional

from your issue.

--------------------
|From: "Mike Journey" <imrj@airborne.com>
|Sender: "Mike Journey" <imrj@airborne.com>
|Subject: RE: Scheduled Reboot
|Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:54:01 -0800
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
|
|Thanks Jack.
|
|The workaround is this:
|
|I downloaded a third party Shutdown.exe.
|
|I created a batch file with an AT job to run shutdown -
|r. I then use Task Scheduler to schedule the batch job
|to run at the appropriate time. (An AT job by itself
|isn't the best option because as soon as you open Task
|Scheduler, any AT jobs get converted to scheduled tasks
|and the problem comes back...)
|
|There is a permissions(?) issue with Task Scheduler
|running Shutdown.exe. I've tried many different RunAs
|users (administrator, system, etc...) and shutdown.exe
|will not run, with no user logged on, via Scheduled
|Tasks. The AT command doesn't have this problem and runs
|the third party shutdown.exe correctly with no one logged
|on.
|
|In all cases, the standard WinXP Pro shutdown.exe will
|not execute when no one is logged on.
|
|Mike J.

|>|
|>| Jack,
|>|
|>| Thanks for the reply. Yes, it works fine when a user
|is
|>| logged on. The concern is when the user ISN'T logged
|on.
|>|
|>| You can easily reproduce this by putting "shutdown -r -
|>| 00" in a .CMD file and set task scheduler to run
|the .CMD
|>| file while you are logged off. We're running the task
|as
|>| the local administrator. The task will fail when no
|one
|>| is logged on, but work correctly when someone is
|logged
|>| on. If you pipe the output of the shutdown command to
|>| file, the error result is "The device is not ready".
|>|
|>| There are no entries in any event log (app, sys, or
|>| security) that correspond to the problem.
|>|
|>| Mike J.
|>|

|>| >|
|nightly
|command
|>| in
|if
|>| >|
|a "The
|Del
|>| >|
|>| hundred
|>| >|
|>| >|
|>| >|
|>| >|
|>| >|

|>|

|>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Access Denied (was Moving a file corrupts it)
    ... Try again and copy/past the comments you are referring to. ... >I am having a problem similar to the one Mike posted a few weeks ago. ... I get the same result when I use the edit>cut>paste command. ... > specific program (I have Windows XPSP2). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Access Denied (was Moving a file corrupts it)
    ... > When I wish to move a file from one folder to another, I usually use the> right click>cut>paste mouse command. ... > go to retrieve the file in its new location, I receive messages similar to> those listed by Mike. ... > My assumption is that there is a problem with Windows, rather than a> specific program. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Access Denied (was Moving a file corrupts it)
    ... I am having a problem similar to the one Mike posted a few weeks ago. ... I get the same result when I use the edit>cut>paste command. ... I use the command right click>copy>paste, I can retrieve the file in its new ... specific program (I have Windows XPSP2). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Scheduled Task gone mad
    ... In my previous reply I instructed you to type this command verbatim: ... that you re-install Windows from scratch. ... The Task Scheduler still comes on and doesn't allow editing. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: zone alarm splash screen
    ... Just changed the command line; ... Mike ... >> added a splash screen that pops up every time Windows boots. ... Click Okay and reboot. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)