RE: Network Access UserName/Password Lost

From: Jack Wang [MS] (jackwa@online.microsoft.com)
Date: 01/14/03

From: jackwa@online.microsoft.com (Jack Wang [MS])
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:24:22 GMT

Hi Henry,

I suggest you check if the computers are in the same workgroup and sub net.

Then, refer to the following steps.

Check the Firewall component:
=========================
1. Check to see if Internet Connection Firewall shipped in Windows XP is disabled:

1). Click Start, click Control Panel, and double click Network Connections.
2). Right click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
3). Click the Advanced tab. If the check box next to the "Protect my computer and
network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet" option is
selected, click to clear the check box.
4). Click OK.

2. Check to see if any third-party Firewall application (such as McAfee Firewall) is
running. If so, temporarily disable or remove it.

Run the Network Setup Wizard manually to enable the file and folder sharing:
=========================
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and double click Network Connections.
2. Click the Set up at home or small office network option in the left Network Tasks
pane.
3. Follow the wizard to select the appropriate statement that best describes the
computer.
4. Fill in the computer information, and click Next.
5. Specific a WorkGoup name. The workgroup name is listed as MSHOME by default. Click
Next.
6. Follow the wizard to accomplish the process.

Let's then use \\pcname (Start->Run->type \\pcname->click OK) to access the other
computer on the network. Does the problem occur?

If so, we may then enable the Guest account by performing the following steps:

1. Log on the compute by using the account with the Administrator type.
2. In Control Panel, double click User Accounts.
3. Click the Guest account icon, click the Turn On the Guest Account button.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang
Microsoft Online Support Professional