RE: Network Access UserName/Password Lost

From: Jack Wang [MS] (jackwa@online.microsoft.com)
Date: 01/14/03

From: jackwa@online.microsoft.com (Jack Wang [MS])
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:24:22 GMT

Hi Henry,

I suggest you check if the computers are in the same workgroup and sub net.

Then, refer to the following steps.

Check the Firewall component:
=========================
1. Check to see if Internet Connection Firewall shipped in Windows XP is disabled:

1). Click Start, click Control Panel, and double click Network Connections.
2). Right click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
3). Click the Advanced tab. If the check box next to the "Protect my computer and
network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet" option is
selected, click to clear the check box.
4). Click OK.

2. Check to see if any third-party Firewall application (such as McAfee Firewall) is
running. If so, temporarily disable or remove it.

Run the Network Setup Wizard manually to enable the file and folder sharing:
=========================
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and double click Network Connections.
2. Click the Set up at home or small office network option in the left Network Tasks
pane.
3. Follow the wizard to select the appropriate statement that best describes the
computer.
4. Fill in the computer information, and click Next.
5. Specific a WorkGoup name. The workgroup name is listed as MSHOME by default. Click
Next.
6. Follow the wizard to accomplish the process.

Let's then use \\pcname (Start->Run->type \\pcname->click OK) to access the other
computer on the network. Does the problem occur?

If so, we may then enable the Guest account by performing the following steps:

1. Log on the compute by using the account with the Administrator type.
2. In Control Panel, double click User Accounts.
3. Click the Guest account icon, click the Turn On the Guest Account button.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang
Microsoft Online Support Professional

from your issue.

--------------------
| From: "Henry Smith" <henry.smith@bluewin.ch>
| Subject: Network Access UserName/Password Lost
| Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:18:46 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
|
| I have 3 computers on a LAN. No domain, just Ethernet. One machine is
| running Win2000, other machine running WinNT. WinXP Pro machine cannot
| connect to Win2000 machine because it is asking user for user name and
| password. However, WinXP machine can see and use shared resources on WinNT
| machine. Both other machines can see Win XP machine on network and use
| shared printer and shared folders.
| Problem: I did not set username and password for this connection to shared
| resources on Win2000 machine.
| How can I find username and password?
| How can I remove username/password requirement from WinXP machine? (Do not
| have username/password requirement on XP machine bootup)
|
| Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated.
|
| Cheers,
| Henry

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Home networking
    ... Not sure about having the guest account turned on I would have thought your ... router & firewall would keep your network safe. ... > I can see and ping this computer from anywhere on the network. ...
  • Re: Two security Qs
    ... the hardware firewall is a router which then connects to a switch hub. ... > but the network wizard does not recommend using SFS and guest account, ... Can I force SFS and the guest account without compromising ...
  • Re: Two security Qs
    ... The risk is that if you had no firewall that those shares would be available ... Policy for XP Pro denying access. ... > but the network wizard does not recommend using SFS and guest account, ... Can I force SFS and the guest account without compromising ...
  • share access
    ... matches a username/password on your machine? ... >Basically I am running xp pro with my "simple file ... >I also disable the guest account. ... network can still ...
  • RE: can ping but not browse
    ... I have stopped the firewall. ... # are safed from all (security) hazards. ... firewall/bastion host to the internet ... # internet and to an internal network, ...
    (Fedora)