Help defining local user restrictions, please?

From: Jerry Trapp (ktrapp7@comcast.net)
Date: 09/18/02

From: "Jerry Trapp" <ktrapp7@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:01:15 GMT

My wife & I recently purchased a new machine running XP Pro as "our"
computer . . . our 4-year-old has an older system that we let him play on as
there's no crucial data that he can wreck. However, this boy is a
Spider-man junky and really wants to play the movie-based game . . . which
will only run on our new system.

So to the point . . . How do I set permissions/restrict access for a
particular user on a single machine in XP Pro? I have my son set up as a
"limited" user, but he still has access to control panel, all programs,
etc., which could be disastrous. I've looked at Users in admin tools, but I
cannot find anywhere to define specifically what shows up in his
environment.

Specifically, I want to remove the majority of the program menu, control
panel, etc. from his environment. In older versions of Windows this
involved using the Policy Editor, which gave you a bunch of simple
checklists to do things such as not show control panel or network
neighborhood. I can find no such thing in XP except for an Office XP Policy
Editor that one can download from MS, and of course this only sets
permissions for Office-related software. I've searched the MS database to
no avail--either the info isn't there or I'm using the wrong search terms.
Does
it somehow involve the Group Policy Editor?

Again this is a single home computer; currently our only networking is our
cable modem hookup, but this single machine is all I'm concerned about at
present.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated . . .

Jerry Trapp

Relevant Pages

  • Help defining local user restrictions, please?
    ... >Spider-man junky and really wants to play the movie- ... >particular user on a single machine in XP Pro? ... >panel, etc. from his environment. ... >it somehow involve the Group Policy Editor? ...
  • Re: add remove icons--Lose Extra Control Panel Applet
    ... This works in Home, Pro, Tablet, and Media Center. ... panel applet just once. ... It has to be the Windows file name--the same one you'd use to ... I have 2 "add remove" icons in my control panel. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • [Reinstall XP Pro?] Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete Grayed Out
    ... seriously considering reinstalling XP Pro from scratch. ... >>as Administrator (although my account, ... >>control panel to function as normal. ... >>so please direct your response as a reply to this ...
  • Re: Control Panel
    ... by the salesman) that the computers had XP PRO. ... I looked at my office pc which does have XP Pro. ... TweakUI apparently can not get rid of them all. ... accessing the Control Panel? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: workgroup
    ... check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel - ... With XP Pro, ... With XP Pro, if SFS is disabled, check the Local Security Policy (Control Panel ... For XP Home, OR for XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the ...