Re: ftp interruption during screensaver

From: Alun Jones (alun@texis.com)
Date: 08/07/02

From: alun@texis.com (Alun Jones)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 21:23:55 GMT

In article <9Ya49.4831$Pb.204633@news2.east.cox.net>, letsrig@c+o+x.net (Glenn
Woodell) wrote:
>Now under XP, evry time the screensaver goes on or when someone signs off, we
>cannot ftp to thie machine.

If FTP service is unavailable when the screensaver goes on, this is often an
indication that you have set the power saving options such that inaction
triggers a standby state after the screensaver starts up. As for when someone
signs off, it sounds like you're not running the FTP server as a service.
There are several servers that run as a service, rather than as an application
(our own offering is WFTPD Pro), including the built-in minimal FTP service in
IIS. That is, unless on signing off you also include that the system goes
idle for long enough to trigger a standby state.

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alun@texis.com
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | VISA/MC accepted.  NT-based sites, be sure to
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for NT.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: NT4, IIS4 FTP service. Yawn.
    ... This is because only the FTP service is installed: ... When you log into FTP anonymously, the following error message may occur: ... Password synchronization is a sub-authentication process used by Internet ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Unknown Network Attack
    ... I enabled the Windows Firewall and poked holes for HTTP, FTP, ... >> on the FTP service just fine using Internet Explorer's FTP service, ... >> how I can restore things. ...
  • Re: Unknown Network Attack
    ... I enabled the Windows Firewall and poked holes for HTTP, FTP, ... >> on the FTP service just fine using Internet Explorer's FTP service, ... >> how I can restore things. ...
  • Re: Yet another thread on the legality of port scanning
    ... Semantics - I was trying to stay within the scope of the previous ... which were straying wildly away from port scanning. ... and any FTP service running on that box ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Uther card works on Apple //e with contiki
    ... small rubber feet to make sure that the card would not touch the neighboring cards, ... Very difficult to backtrack through menu's with the screensaver kicking on constantly. ... FTP still needs work, but that information is on the web site i believe. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)