Re: Major XP problems and loss of important files/progs, etc.

From: Kent W. England [MVP] (kwe@mvps.org)
Date: 07/12/02

From: "Kent W. England [MVP]" <kwe@mvps.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:40:13 -0700

Your files are safe in your user profile but probably inaccessible from
your temporary account, but your ntuser.dat registry hive is hosed. The
easiest way to return to normal is to logon to your admin account and
run System Restore to restore the latest restore point. If this doesn't
work, there is a very complicated process we can go through to extract a
user registry hive from the SVI folder, but that will only work if
System Restore has actually worked in the recent past, so it's a long
shot.

The prime suspects for this widespread problem are memory mismatches or
shortcomings and disk write-caching. I tend to suspect the disk
write-caching since I can't understand how a memory defect would only
affect registry hives and only at shutdown or startup, but that doesn't
mean that XP isn't doing something tricky right when the hives are
supposed to be loading. If it is a memory problem, then repeated trys
might get one success, but I haven't heard of anyone reporting success
this way.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
(Please respond only in the newsgroup)
Cassandra <xcassandrax@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi..
>
> I've just actually logged on to this forum and was
> looking for advice regarding a strange situation I now
> have with my system.  I logged off last night and never
> did anything unusual during that session except
> downloading the latest Windows Update; I then attempted
> to login today and as soon as I entered my password a pop
> up screen appeared stating that there was an error
> beingcorrupted/missing from the registry.  I did manage
> to login and was given temporary settings but much to my
> horror.. all my important documents, images and
> programmes have somehow vanished.  There are some
> remaining programmes and a few files in the trash but
> even IE loads a BT setup screen when I click on any url?
> This is seriously weird and worrying me to death so any
> advice would be greatly appreciated.. and I didn't backup
> if anyone is wondering :'(  Thanks in advance.
>
> Cassandra xx

Relevant Pages

  • Re: User profile not loaded correctly
    ... I had attempted a System Restore when I first found out that I could not ... not have any access to a administrator account. ... 'System Restore - How to - Vista Forums' ... 'The User Profile Service failed the logon. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)
  • Re: User profile not loaded correctly
    ... You could try a System Restore using a restore point dated before this ... not have any access to a administrator account. ... 'The User Profile Service failed the logon. ... *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)
  • Re: User profile not loaded correctly
    ... create another user account that will work properly. ... You could try a System Restore using a restore point dated before ... 'System Restore - How to - Vista Forums' ... 'The User Profile Service failed the logon. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)
  • Re: Windows XP login issue
    ... then restore the registry hives from a recent System Restore checkpoint. ... The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. ... If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives. ... She has it as part of a normal windows network, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Blank System Restore Screen and Missing Files
    ... There is an alternate method using which you can recover the registry hives from a recent System Restore snapshot. ... Note that the article was written for a different problem, but it explains the possibility of recovering the registry hives from a recent System Restore point, when the unit was functioning well. ... finished playing it I went to uninstall it. ...