Major XP problems and loss of important files/progs, etc.

From: Cassandra (xcassandrax@hotmail.com)
Date: 07/12/02

From: "Cassandra" <xcassandrax@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:12:43 -0700

Hi..

I've just actually logged on to this forum and was
looking for advice regarding a strange situation I now
have with my system. I logged off last night and never
did anything unusual during that session except
downloading the latest Windows Update; I then attempted
to login today and as soon as I entered my password a pop
up screen appeared stating that there was an error
beingcorrupted/missing from the registry. I did manage
to login and was given temporary settings but much to my
horror.. all my important documents, images and
programmes have somehow vanished. There are some
remaining programmes and a few files in the trash but
even IE loads a BT setup screen when I click on any url?
This is seriously weird and worrying me to death so any
advice would be greatly appreciated.. and I didn't backup
if anyone is wondering :'( Thanks in advance.

Cassandra xx