Re: User Data Backup and Restore - Help!

NC Beach Bum wrote:
I am working with a PC that has account and password issues so the user is blocked from accessing his files. I have tried Orphcrack on the system but it's not showing any passwords. The user tells me the system has been acting odd for some time now and - of course - he does not have a backup and to make it worse his tax information is on the system so he had to file an extension to get time for me to do this recovery and restore. I need to pull his files from the system to wipe, perform a clean install, setup his account and restore his files. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

Can you mount the drive in another PC and see the directories? If so you should be able to take control of the directories and then back them up like any other files. I had to do this when a friend's laptop died. I mounted the disk in a XP computer and took ownership of the files and copied everything to a new drive.

  • RE: User Data Backup and Restore - Help!
    ... "NC Beach Bum" wrote: ... it's not showing any passwords. ... extension to get time for me to do this recovery and restore. ...
  • Re: How to restore *USRPRF with its passwords?
    ... I do not want to restore *ALL users given teh fact ... that the new sistem (in a side by side migration) contains certain users ... loose all passwords and group relations, what in fact means a real mess. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc)
  • Re: Strange Windows XP behavior
    ... going to work and when I got home the fun began. ... none showing up and are able to start most programs. ... restore but all my restore points are missing. ... Try running Sysinternals RootkitRevealer. ...
    (alt.os.windows-xp)
  • Re: Denied access to my encrypted files. HELP!
    ... >Using the same computer name, user name, and passwords ... >To get access to EFS encrypted files you will need to ... >restore the old build so that you may log in to it. ... >Associate Expert - Windows XP ExpertZone ...
  • Re: Unable to log you on because of an account restriction
    ... How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from ... safe mode) prior to using the "password remover" and was unable to logon ... because it said there were passwords on both when in fact there have never ... Prior to running the registry fix I had created a restore point ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)