In Big Trouble Vista Home 32 Bit

The symptom of my problem is Vista is telling me that my firewall is not
running, but it won't start manually. Also doesn't connect to the internet
(I'm using a borrowed machine here)
I can see that BFE is not running and that won't start either, says a file
is missing.
I have tried a system restore to several different points, after quite a few
minutes tells me this has failed and the problem is still there. Tried the
sfc which said it fixed some files but could not fix all, wasn't obvious to
me from the log what it couldn't fix.
In desperation have backed everything up I can find and tried to reinstall
(I have a Dell installation disc so no option to repair)
This got to the first reboot on expanding files (27%) and then failed and
restored back to the original configuration.
As you can see I seem to be in big troubles, (started after a Windows Update
this morning as far as I can tell, was alright before that)
Any advice anyone can offer will be gratefully received

  • Re: strange name on my hotmail acct sign in
    ... box that pops up when someone clicks on my internet explorer icon. ... > I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ... > Why you should use a computer firewall.. ... > The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Reformat HD & Reinstall XP Pro - but no XP Disk
    ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ... Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer. ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ... The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Internet access issues
    ... Over the last week or so I have been unable to access the internet other than ... IE8 and was informed that I had a possible firewall problem with ports 80, ... using the registry repair tools, other than registry back up, on the advice ... I tried System Restore for a quick fix, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: mirc/irc flood trojan help
    ... Delete all Temporary Internet Files ... Do this by repeatedly typing F8 while Windows is starting. ... you have to disable/enable System Restore ... Run an internet firewall ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Need help with my registry!!!!
    ... >Hi Cassie ... I had tried the System Restore first ... >| Internet Explorer. ... I didn't fix that problem ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)