Re: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:52:38 +0100, anon_private
<anon_private.48m6kd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ken Blake, MVP;1670184 Wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:49:02 +0100, anon_private
<anon_private.48l3oc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

McAfee security centre is due to expire.

I want to replace it with a good free AV programme

I am looking at
AVIRA
MS Security Essentials
AVAST

Three good choices. You can't go terribly wrong with any of them. They
are all much better than McAfee, and I wouldn't wait for McAfee to
expire to replace it with one of these.

I also have the following on my machine, and they will stay

Windows defender
Malwarebyttes
SuperAntispyware

All good choices, too.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Thanks for responding.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Evidently, MSE would replace WD, MB, and SASpy...

No. You want a single anti-virus program, but multiple anti-spyware
programs.

I wonder if I should select either AVIRA or AVAST (free versions) since
I would like to keep WD, MB, and SASpy...

Keep all three regardless of which anti-virus you choose.

I am using MCAfee's firewall at present, but will revert To Vista's FW
on removel of McAfee's products.

Regarding unistalling McAfee's Security Centre, I intend to use
McAfee's Uninstall tool (part of the suite). Is this sufficient.

Any commments welcome.

Thanks

anon_private