Re: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:52:38 +0100, anon_private
<anon_private.48m6kd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ken Blake, MVP;1670184 Wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:49:02 +0100, anon_private
<anon_private.48l3oc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

McAfee security centre is due to expire.

I want to replace it with a good free AV programme

I am looking at
AVIRA
MS Security Essentials
AVAST

Three good choices. You can't go terribly wrong with any of them. They
are all much better than McAfee, and I wouldn't wait for McAfee to
expire to replace it with one of these.

I also have the following on my machine, and they will stay

Windows defender
Malwarebyttes
SuperAntispyware

All good choices, too.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Thanks for responding.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Evidently, MSE would replace WD, MB, and SASpy...

No. You want a single anti-virus program, but multiple anti-spyware
programs.

I wonder if I should select either AVIRA or AVAST (free versions) since
I would like to keep WD, MB, and SASpy...

Keep all three regardless of which anti-virus you choose.

I am using MCAfee's firewall at present, but will revert To Vista's FW
on removel of McAfee's products.

Regarding unistalling McAfee's Security Centre, I intend to use
McAfee's Uninstall tool (part of the suite). Is this sufficient.

Any commments welcome.

Thanks

anon_private

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision
    ... Ken Blake, MVP;1670362 Wrote: ... McAfee security centre is due to expire. ... Now for the difficult choice of which anti-virus programme to choose ...
  • Re: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision
    ... Ken Blake, MVP;1670362 Wrote: ... McAfee security centre is due to expire. ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003 ... Now for the difficult choice of which anti-virus programme to choose ...
  • Re: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision
    ... McAfee security centre is due to expire. ... Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP since 2003 ...
  • Re: Asking about anti-virus programs
    ... I believe I have enabled the one that came with McAfee, ... because "Microsoft Windows Update" flagged it. ... than my firewall is enabled. ... There are also security updates for Office at ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Asking about anti-virus programs
    ... Any experts out there that can answer security protection ... I purchased the Windows XP, hp pavilion 780n with the 950 ... I figured McAfee was fine and that I ...
    (microsoft.public.security)