RE: Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN

"Alasdair" wrote:

When connected to a pptp VPN resources on the local domain are
inconsistantly available. Previously with XP they were always available even
if connected to a VPN.

What has changed?

Printing:
From win 7, I can print to a Lan printer shared on the server (2008)
Once connected to a remote VPN (windows 2003 pptp), the print que says
"Accessed Denied" when trying to print to the same printer.
With XP printing was still possible to the Lan even though connected to a VPN.

Mapped Drives:
Sometime they work, sometimes they don't. If I have a mapped drive to a
local file server once connected to the VPN I can't list the contents of
drive, or access any of the files.
Other times even with a VPN connected I can acess the files. If you access
the drive before opening the VPN this seems to help.

I have exactly the same problem using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 in a Windows
2008 R2 domain and VPN to some appliance.

I thought it may be a DNS issue but I have added the server to my hosts
file. The host name resolves correctly even after an "ipconfig /flushdns".

Does windows 7 need to resolve service records on the local AD dns server
before passing on credentials? The order of accessing DNS servers is the
remote VPN DNS server first and then the local DNS server second. Is this why
I can always print to a local printer that I installed using its IP address,
whilst connected to a VPN, which then prompted me for credentials. I assume
the credentials were stored locally, making them always available no matter
what the order of DNS servers were.

For me it is no DNS problem.
Even when connected to the VPN the DNS servers are still the local ones.

Also the default route is to the local gateway and not via VPN.

Once connected to a VPN why can't Vista/Win7 always print/access local
resources?
Connected to the same VPNs XP could always access local recources.
Whats changed?

Same here. Using XP (like I did before switiching to Windows 7) I could
access all local/domain resources without any poblem.

Now I can not print. For printing I have to disconnect from VPN, then all
print jobs are spooled from my machine to the server.

  • Re: Name resolution for VPN Clients
    ... using an IP that is part of the VPN client's normal "local" network ... A local network is a network-cheaper name lookup than any VPN connection. ... define the "local" DNS server to be one provided by your ISP ... permanent LAN Client or a VPN User. ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.vpn)
  • Re: Name resolution for VPN Clients
    ... controlled by the ISA when connected by VPN etc. ... intents and purposes the internal DNS server does indeed to be resolving the ... The Internet Device should never be involved in any ... Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.vpn)
  • Re: Strange DNS
    ... >> You are trying to lookup a resource located in your office. ... the ISP DNS server is not able to locate the record. ... >> inside your office are now tunnelled through the VPN connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: VPN Clients DNS Issue
    ... The problem is the way that Windows XP has the network adapters bound. ... this the DNS will resolve correctly when you are connected to a VPN. ... the client it shows that the default DNS server is the DNS server that is ... but the VPN client was still resolving to the external IP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: DNS not resolving correctly on VPN
    ... When they log in via VPN, we pass the same DNS server. ... I will work with one of this machines today and post back. ... > the users use the OWA from the Internet side? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)