Re: How can I block other machines from having access to my comput

Set the network to *Home network* and Disable File and Printer Sharing via the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel.
Click the "Choose homegroup and sharing options" link, then click
the "Advanced sharing settings" link.

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

SomeOldGuy wrote:
Thanks for the link, but the wireless network has all those things
implemented. I guess I did not explain it clearly:

Any computer that IS connected the to network has access to read/write files
on the OTHER computers. I wish to prevent that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

"Leroy" wrote:

How to Secure Your Wireless Home Network:
http://www.labnol.org/internet/secure-your-wireless-wifi-network/10549/

SomeOldGuy wrote:
I have a new computer from HP that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
installed. Mostly, it seems pretty good. It has been quite stable since
initial trouble got ironed out (blue-screened severely, fresh out of the box
from day one).

Here's my current problem...

My daughter came to visit over the holidays and brought her laptop with her.
When she connected to my wireless network connection, her Windows Media
Player popped up a message saying it found [computer name] and did she want
to have access to media on that computer. She answered "yes" and proceeded to
show me that she could see all my pictures and movies, and play my music.

Doing some experimenting, we opened Explorer and clicked on the Network
line, and saw icons there for all the computers on this little home network.
We opened one of the remote machines and discovered that we can read AND
WRITE files to it, and can delete them as well.

This seems like a severe security hole to me - if I am mistaken, please
explain.

How can I prevent these computers from being accessible to each other on the
network?

  • Re: Big hole??
    ... supposedly safe SP2 for Windows XP invites any Internet user to have a look around your PC. ... printer sharing data are visible worldwide, ... Internet Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled. ... network at home: Often, we did not even encounter password protection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Big hole??
    ... supposedly safe SP2 for Windows XP invites any Internet user to have a look around your PC. ... printer sharing data are visible worldwide, ... Internet Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled. ... network at home: Often, we did not even encounter password protection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Big hole??
    ... supposedly safe SP2 for Windows XP invites any Internet user to have a look around your PC. ... printer sharing data are visible worldwide, ... Internet Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled. ... network at home: Often, we did not even encounter password protection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Connection to two simultaneous wireless networks, ICS
    ... wireless network adaptor card. ... this particular connection is called "Internet Connection". ... On the PC above, I turned on Internet Connection Sharing ... have to disconnect my laptops from the Home network and reconnect them ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Cannot connect to web with Client
    ... The file sharing works on both computers. ... I can access the web on the host but not the client. ... Open the Network Connections folder. ... Right-click the connection that goes to the DSL modem. ...