Re: How can I block other machines from having access to my computer?

How to Secure Your Wireless Home Network:
http://www.labnol.org/internet/secure-your-wireless-wifi-network/10549/

SomeOldGuy wrote:
I have a new computer from HP that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit installed. Mostly, it seems pretty good. It has been quite stable since initial trouble got ironed out (blue-screened severely, fresh out of the box from day one).

Here's my current problem...

My daughter came to visit over the holidays and brought her laptop with her. When she connected to my wireless network connection, her Windows Media Player popped up a message saying it found [computer name] and did she want to have access to media on that computer. She answered "yes" and proceeded to show me that she could see all my pictures and movies, and play my music.

Doing some experimenting, we opened Explorer and clicked on the Network line, and saw icons there for all the computers on this little home network. We opened one of the remote machines and discovered that we can read AND WRITE files to it, and can delete them as well.

This seems like a severe security hole to me - if I am mistaken, please explain.

How can I prevent these computers from being accessible to each other on the network?

  • Re: Networking is Messed Up
    ... Both our office network and my home network are simple "workgroups", ... Use a proxy server for your LAN. ... You may have winsock problem, WinSock is damaged or corrupt after disconnect ...
  • Re: Networking is Messed Up
    ... DNS servers in the Local Connection IP Settings and the wireless disabled so ... Both our office network and my home network are simple "workgroups", ... Use a proxy server for your LAN. ...
  • Re: Networking is Messed Up
    ... DNS servers in the Local Connection IP Settings and the wireless disabled so ... Both our office network and my home network are simple "workgroups", ... Use a proxy server for your LAN. ...
  • RE: Networking is Messed Up
    ... DNS servers in the Local Connection IP Settings and the wireless disabled so ... Both our office network and my home network are simple "workgroups", ... Use a proxy server for your LAN. ...
  • Re: [fw-wiz] home net security (was Re: 802.11b and IPSec)
    ... of data on their home network is- or who underestimates it. ... > services from those hosts). ... I don't feel I need 3DES, it *is* a home network after all, and the host ... more about that when I summarize the responses. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)