Re: How can I block other machines from having access to my comput

Thanks for the link, but the wireless network has all those things
implemented. I guess I did not explain it clearly:

Any computer that IS connected the to network has access to read/write files
on the OTHER computers. I wish to prevent that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

"Leroy" wrote:

How to Secure Your Wireless Home Network:
http://www.labnol.org/internet/secure-your-wireless-wifi-network/10549/

SomeOldGuy wrote:
I have a new computer from HP that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
installed. Mostly, it seems pretty good. It has been quite stable since
initial trouble got ironed out (blue-screened severely, fresh out of the box
from day one).

Here's my current problem...

My daughter came to visit over the holidays and brought her laptop with her.
When she connected to my wireless network connection, her Windows Media
Player popped up a message saying it found [computer name] and did she want
to have access to media on that computer. She answered "yes" and proceeded to
show me that she could see all my pictures and movies, and play my music.

Doing some experimenting, we opened Explorer and clicked on the Network
line, and saw icons there for all the computers on this little home network.
We opened one of the remote machines and discovered that we can read AND
WRITE files to it, and can delete them as well.

This seems like a severe security hole to me - if I am mistaken, please
explain.

How can I prevent these computers from being accessible to each other on the
network?

  • RE: Problems with Permissions
    ... And SBS server is only take ... the role of an internal server. ... they are all configured to connected to internal network. ... g. Run the Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard on SBS server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Suspicious misbehavior of wireless networking in XP
    ... setting up their home wireless network. ... access point (DSL router) downstairs plugged into their DSL modem. ... almost never shows a successful connection, ... re-running the "set up a wireless network" ...
  • RE: Connecting to web browers...
    ... I would like to know why when i get connected to a wireless network i cannot ... I allowed windows to configure my settings for me as i do not have a network ... Then type Exit and Reboot your machine then try to establish connection. ...
  • Re: router problem?
    ... Jo-Anne wrote: ... point is that although I appear to be connected to my own wireless network, I'm stuck at "Acquiring network address." ... I opened Network Connections, double-clicked on Wireless Network Connection, and the Status is always the above. ... I had to type in my security key and confirm it, and then all was well--although it said I had a Manual connection rather than an Automatic one. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Outgoing POP3 email missing/lost/not received
    ... Funny thing is that I have had this ISP for 8 years and it has always been ... It looks like when you last ran CEICW, you set the ISP's mail server to: ... Internet Connection Wizard. ... After the wizard completes, the following network connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)