Re: Firewall Exceptions for Programs versus Ports

"FromTheRafters" wrote:

"Don" <Don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm running Microsoft Office Groove and it is setup under Vista
(Business
edition) Firewall Exceptions as a Program, not a Port. To clarify,
when you
look at the properties of the Groove (Program) Exception, it does not
mention
anything about ports. I know I can add an exception specifically for
Port
2492 (Groove's primary communication port), but would that be
redundant if
the Program Exception for Groove already opens up that specific Port.
Hope
that makes sense.

I had posted the same question in the Groove Discussion Group here -
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=us&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.groove&p=1&tid=8f6da917-f2a0-4859-a3a6-4c555df48526

but one of the Mods referred me to this group. Hope someone can help.
Thanks.

Programmatically, exceptions can be made for the duration of the running
program.

User defined exceptions for the firewall?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730955(WS.10).aspx

Use the control panel applet, or the plug-in.

So opening the port that the app uses manually with a specific port
exception would be less secure since the "Program Exception" closes the port
after the application is closed, correct?

  • Re: Bug with W2K3, SP1, Windows Firewall and FTP
    ... add program not add port. ... I'm confuse as well:) between the advanced tab and exception tab. ... port in the Exceptions and checking the FTP Server in the Advanced ... I decided to try adding a port 21 in the firewall exception list just to ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • Re: Login failed for user x, Error: 18456
    ... string returnValue = string.Empty; ... catch (Exception ex) ... Make sure that account that is running the asp.net account has a sql server ... The port could be "moving" on you. ...
  • Problems with dynamic port binding to consume web service
    ... I'm trying to create an application which use a dynamic web port to call ... Uncaught exception has suspended an ... pepLookup, Guid portId, XLANGMessage msg, Segment seg, String opname, String ... IList toPromote, Boolean ignoreRoutingFailure) ...
    (microsoft.public.biztalk.general)
  • Re: Serialport Object kann nicht zerstört werden
    ... Serialport Klasse zu schicken eine Exception ("Zugriff auf Com1 wurde ... Was macht Dein Programmcode, wenn dieser TimeOut-Fall ... ob der Port geöffnet ist. ... genau der im Protokoll festgelegten Antwort zu quittieren und ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.entwickler.dotnet.vb)
  • Re: Change RDP Port in XP Firewall
    ... > Windows Firewall for the new exception. ... > box, using the new port, from my XP Home box. ... is in fact UNCHECKED in the Windows Firewall Exception ...