Re: Vista 64bit rpeventing file copy

This seems the most promising direction. I did some quick looking up and MDE
files are one that is protected. I don't understand why Windows would
consider my app a protected file but it seems to fit the pattern. The
solution according to what I found it to create my updates as bona fide
installers and not just a simple file-copy.

I will test this out. Thanks for the help.

Tony

"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
Read up on Windows Resource Protection (WRP) to determine if your file is
being "protected". Userland users may experience silent protection whereas
as an administrator they might get an error message (<--clue).

"Tony Vrolyk" <me@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
I sell a program that I wrote in Access and have had a couple customers
with 64 bit versions of Windows Vista where if I send them an updated
file, via email or download, it appears as though the file has copied over
the old version but when they run the program it is still the old version
of the program. Is there some underlying copy protection that is
preventing me from copying over the file yet does not report any error or
security warning?

Here are a couple details
* The original install program installs the Access runtime, my program
and related system files. The program itself is made up of two files. one
Access MDE (like a read-only Access file that contains all the coding)
and a database file.
* I then sent them an update which consists of a zip file that contains a
new MDE. They are to copy that over their existing MDE in order to use
the new version.
* In one instance I was able to remote into the customer's PC and do the
file copy it myself. I can see the file copy, the file size and date
appear to be correct for the new version but when I would run it it would
run the old code. Ths PC was an HP laptop if that makes any difference

This is driving me batty. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Tony

  • Re: Vista 64bit rpeventing file copy
    ... MDE files are one that is protected. ... installers and not just a simple file-copy. ... whereas as an administrator they might get an error message. ... Is there some underlying copy protection that is ...
  • Re: Stop start up code
    ... first thing is to make an mde of your database and only deliver the mde - that will give you some degree of protection in that the code behind forms and reports and in modules will be protected. ... understand the concept of intellectual property. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.setupconfig)
  • Re: MDE file security
    ... contained within your MDE. ... Is the protection ... indicate that mde protected vba modules can acutally be viewed. ... Am I misinterpreting this ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: Is it Possible to do this ?
    ... Trying to get protection, install, etc... ... > Dave Elliott wrote: ... >> Trying to figure out a way to protect my db without creating a mde. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)
  • Re: securing access
    ... > I've secured my Access database by creating an MDE file because it ... > confidential data. ... > Access to link to or import the tables in that MDE. ... The only "protection" provided by an MDE is your code. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.formscoding)