Re: Vista 64bit rpeventing file copy

"Tony Vrolyk" <me@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:eC1jkobSKHA.3540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I sell a program that I wrote in Access and have had a couple customers
with 64 bit versions of Windows Vista where if I send them an updated
file, via email or download, it appears as though the file has copied
over the old version but when they run the program it is still the old
version of the program. Is there some underlying copy protection that
is preventing me from copying over the file yet does not report any
error or security warning?

Here are a couple details
* The original install program installs the Access runtime, my program
and related system files. The program itself is made up of two files.
one Access MDE (like a read-only Access file that contains all the
coding) and a database file.
* I then sent them an update which consists of a zip file that
contains a new MDE. They are to copy that over their existing MDE in
order to use the new version.
* In one instance I was able to remote into the customer's PC and do
the file copy it myself. I can see the file copy, the file size and
date appear to be correct for the new version but when I would run it
it would run the old code. Ths PC was an HP laptop if that makes any
difference

This is driving me batty. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Tony

Is there some special action your users take to 'copy that over their
existing' file ? A simple unzip and delete(?)/copy will just update a
directory entry and leave the original file as free disk space. How do
they launch the program ? If program startup is by double-click the
existence of the old file shouldn't matter but it's not unknown for a
scheduler/job-queue (something cunning of your own making ? ) to hold a
disk location. Any relevance at all ? - I'm guessing really.

Tom

.