Re: Vista 64bit rpeventing file copy

"Tony Vrolyk" <me@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23YhYALcSKHA.4048@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ok here is an interesting twist. was going to remote into another customer's PC but asked that she turn off UAC before hand. She did that restarting and and tested my program even before we connected and it worked as expected. She tested and turned UAC back on, restarted and then tried the program again and it seemed to revert back to the old version.

This is very weird

FYI my program is installed under C:\Program Files (x86)\My Program...

Tony

"Tony Vrolyk" <me@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eC1jkobSKHA.3540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I sell a program that I wrote in Access and have had a couple customers with 64 bit versions of Windows Vista where if I send them an updated file, via email or download, it appears as though the file has copied over the old version but when they run the program it is still the old version of the program. Is there some underlying copy protection that is preventing me from copying over the file yet does not report any error or security warning?

Here are a couple details
* The original install program installs the Access runtime, my program and related system files. The program itself is made up of two files. one Access MDE (like a read-only Access file that contains all the coding) and a database file.
* I then sent them an update which consists of a zip file that contains a new MDE. They are to copy that over their existing MDE in order to use the new version.
* In one instance I was able to remote into the customer's PC and do the file copy it myself. I can see the file copy, the file size and date appear to be correct for the new version but when I would run it it would run the old code. Ths PC was an HP laptop if that makes any difference

This is driving me batty. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Tony

You didn't install the data base file in that same folder, did you?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

  • mouse problem
    ... I found that the problem with my 2010 word and win7 is depend on thinkpad client security software and after I install office 2007 patch of this software my problem is solved. ... Windows 7, Vista, and XP but I have not found an acceptable solution to this ... It seems related to some kind of UAC ... by the UAC prompt every time you start Word generates an error of, ...
  • Re: System Restore Crash
    ... into windows by any means, it restarts itself at the Windows XP loading ... System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. ... > CD, a repair install can fail and if it does, the only option is usually ... The machine now keeps restarting at this ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Quick: Where is the equivalent of the Display control panel in Vista?
    ... didn't understand how UAC works. ... designed to install with this limited set with no problem. ... Administrator, and everything goes fine. ... recognizes it as a setup file and asks to bump up the setup file. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: UAC Questions
    ... pictures, they seek out digital rights, they install codecs on the fly, they update themselves, they install themselves in QuickLaunch, they install toolbars if your not careful, they run bits of themselves at start up, and they invariably install themselves for access by all users. ... UAC interrupts one's workflow so often that one selects Allow or Continue by habit, that makes it very easy for a nasty to come in under the radar. ... simple local applications such as a word processor or a media player won't usually need administrative permission. ... Applications that can affect OS files such as Vista's administrative tools or 3rd party applications such as Acronis, ...
  • Re: Windows XP reboots
    ... I got Windows reconfigured for not automatically restarting. ... I did a full install so I could ... This was my real motive in upgrading. ... that File 1 had 65.2 Mb just like the original file on the dvd). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)