Re: New User Account

JamesJ wrote:

Since lurking in this ng I've learned that creating a non-administrative
user account
will enhance security.
How does this work?
I'm the only user and the Administrator.
If I create another account will I need to create a password for both
accounts?
When my system starts will I be prompted as to which user is to log in or
can
I select a user to automatically log in?
Can I delete the user account using Vista Basic?

General Recommendations For Setting Up Users In Vista:

You absolutely do not want to have only one user account. Like XP and all
other modern operating systems, Vista is a multi-user operating system with
built-in system accounts such as Administrator, Default, All Users, and
Guest. These accounts should be left alone as they are part of the operating
system structure.

You particularly don't want only one user account with administrative
privileges on Vista because the built-in Administrator account (normally
only used in emergencies) is disabled by default. If you're running as
Administrator for your daily work and that account gets corrupted, things
will be Difficult. It isn't impossible to activate the built-in Administrator
to rescue things, but it will require third-party tools and working outside
the operating system.

The user account that is for your daily work should be a Standard user, with
the extra administrative user (call it something like "CompAdmin" or "Tech"
or the like) only there for elevation purposes. After you create
"CompAdmin", log into it and change your regular user account to Standard.
Then log back into your regular account.

If you want to go directly to the Desktop and skip the Welcome Screen with
the icons of user accounts, you can do this:

Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Antivirus advice (on freebies)
    ... much the equivalent in Linux or Vista ... To enable the built-in master administrator account open a command ... You can actually login as SYSTEM, ... You can also play with the windows registry, services, user account change, ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: New Vista user - could use some help.
    ... that several of the important drivers were unavailable for Windows XP, ... decided to bite the bullet and live with Vista. ... I became extremely frustrated with, what I think is, User Account ... be also an administrator account, ...
  • Re: New Vista user - could use some help.
    ... that several of the important drivers were unavailable for Windows XP, ... decided to bite the bullet and live with Vista. ... I became extremely frustrated with, what I think is, User Account ... be also an administrator account, ...
  • Re: I got a virus help
    ... Most Windows users will tell you that this is akin to the "Administrator" account on your PC, but that is not exactly the case. ... Microsoft has attempted to emulate this technique many times, but always fails miserably in its implementation. ... But wait, you say, doesn't Mac OS have that same problem? ... So if you happen to exploit one of them, you can only do what that small, very restricted user account can do... ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: New Vista user - could use some help.
    ... I don't pretend to know all about Vista or winxp, ... I became extremely frustrated with, what I think is, User Account ... be also an administrator account, ... other modern operating systems, Vista is a multi-user operating system ...