Re: Little red x

John Galt's solution worked. I followed the directions and the problem went away.

Now can someone tell me what I did? I know I added a string.

Ed
"Phil Rhodes" <pe.rhodes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uM0PoX0JKHA.1492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, Ed, I clicked on "Start" then "help and support" and that is why I mention IE, because the "help and support" in not on your computer, it is on the internet (my laptop is made by HP, so that is where my "help and support" comes from) and likely, your default browser is IE, correct me if I'm wrong :) so your help and support comes from HP or Dell, etc.

"Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23C4Ye6zJKHA.3708@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phil, I get the red x's even without IE. All I have to do is hit my start button and then "Help and support" Try it yourself on your machine (assuming you run Vista). After hitting "help and Support" you should get a drop down on the right. In the drop down is where the x's show up, like a placesetter

Ed
"Phil Rhodes" <pe.rhodes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u0ZnPkzJKHA.1380@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1. Likely you are using 'Internet Explorer' as your browser. Let's say it has a problem. Try downloading another browser such as 'Firefox' by 'Mozilla'. You can Google these names to find out more about them before deciding to download the browser. After you get it running, go to the toolbar, and click on 'Tools' then 'Options' then set Firefox up to delete everything (temp files, cookies, etc) after you close the browser (shut it off). Do you see 'little red boxes' when you use it? Of course, deleting the cookies will mean all of your passwords, etc will be deleted after each use, and if you find this inconvient, you can change it so that the cookies are saved (which is why IE doesn't offer this option).
2. Do you scan you system with a spyware scanner? There are several free spyware scanners out there and if you Google 'spyware scanner' you will get a list :) but I can reccomend AdAware by Lavasoft and SuperAntiSpyware (although it can be anoying) and Spybot. Pick one and try it.
3. Please find the answer to this question - why doesn't Microsoft build a spyware scanner into IE (or Mozilla into Firefox) so that it can tell the difference between cookies that you want to save, and cookies that interfere with your system (ie, spyware)? In the Windows 95 operating system, you had a seperate folder for cookies that you wanted to keep and you could easily clean the other one (in fact I bought a "Cleaner" my MS to do just that, if memory serves).

"Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eUaP17yJKHA.4232@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Everything under multimedia is checked, nothing is cleared

Es
"Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eMCl0UyJKHA.4820@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
First go to IE\Properties\Advanced and scroll down to Multimedia and make sure you have a checkmark to show pictures and placeholders. Post back if already checked

--
Peter

"Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23R4XeNyJKHA.4136@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
windows basics, windows online help, etc. It's like the graphics are being blocked (?)
<.> wrote in message news:%23pK2SnsJKHA.4236@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What do you mean by "boxes with red x"? What does it say in the description?

"Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ulp3J5rJKHA.3724@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been running Vista for about a year. At various times I will open something and it seems that there are "boxes" with red x's and a description. I imagine it is a security thing. Is there someway to shut it off or am I better off leaving it alone. As an example, if I hit the start button and then "help and support" I will get these x's.

Ed

  • Re: Little red x
    ... All I have to do is hit my start button and then "Help and support" Try it yourself on your machine. ... After you get it running, go to the toolbar, and click on 'Tools' then 'Options' then set Firefox up to delete everything (temp files, cookies, etc) after you close the browser. ... There are several free spyware scanners out there and if you Google 'spyware scanner' you will get a list:) but I can reccomend AdAware by Lavasoft and SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot. ...
  • Re: Little red x
    ... I mention IE, because the "help and support" in not on your computer, ... Try downloading another browser such as ... deleting the cookies will mean ... Do you scan you system with a spyware scanner? ...
  • Re: Little red x
    ... Try downloading another browser such as 'Firefox' by 'Mozilla'. ... After you get it running, go to the toolbar, and click on 'Tools' then 'Options' then set Firefox up to delete everything (temp files, cookies, etc) after you close the browser. ... There are several free spyware scanners out there and if you Google 'spyware scanner' you will get a list:) but I can reccomend AdAware by Lavasoft and SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot. ...
  • Re: Little red x
    ... I mention IE, because the "help and support" in not on your computer, ... Try downloading another browser such as ... deleting the cookies will mean ... Do you scan you system with a spyware scanner? ...
  • Re: Little red x
    ... Yes, Ed, I clicked on "Start" then "help and support" and that is why I mention IE, because the "help and support" in not on your computer, it is on the internet and likely, your default browser is IE, correct me if I'm wrong:) so your help and support comes from HP or Dell, etc. ... Try downloading another browser such as 'Firefox' by 'Mozilla'. ... After you get it running, go to the toolbar, and click on 'Tools' then 'Options' then set Firefox up to delete everything (temp files, cookies, etc) after you close the browser. ... There are several free spyware scanners out there and if you Google 'spyware scanner' you will get a list:) but I can reccomend AdAware by Lavasoft and SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot. ...