Re: Setting up a Vista Home Premium PC for College?

t-4-2 wrote:
Yes. You should always have a password protect admin account, in case your cousin messes up the computer. You can then use the admin account to straighten things up.
P.S. " Enabled " is not the right term unless you meant the Built-in Administrator account.
t-4-2

"Justin" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O7hmtxRHKHA.1488@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK folks, I have been given a laptop for a cousin - he is taking it to
college. How should I set up everything to it is reasonable secure?
I have AVG on it, I am keeping UAC enabled.
What about the accounts? Should I enable the Admin account and give it
a password while his account is set up as a standard user?

I was thinking of having the simple boot up, the one where you have the pictures. Have the Administrator account there with a Red Cross as its picture - password protected obviously.
Then have his picture - there under it also password protected with something fairly simple.
Would that make sense?

  • Re: How good is Comodo Internet Security?
    ... Admin account + web browser + LUA token ... admin account opposed of running as iam now, which is JUST PURE admin level? ... While LUA gives added security, ... payload delivered by a buffer overrun (assuming the app was allowed to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: domain admin account impersontating
    ... i guees that the bottom line is that the domain admin account can be ... with the same username and password. ... Starting with Windows XP this became less simple, ...
  • RE: runas issue
    ... to Power Users per new company policy,so then only one local built-in admin ... user account was at one time an admin account and was changed to power user. ...
  • Re: Virus is getting domain account listing
    ... In 2003 you can change the process ID of the admin account. ... Play with the net user command at your command prompt and see what ... dictionary attack against every single account could happen. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: How to restore Admin account??