Re: Give a program access to C:\xxx\its-own-file.c

RealCat wrote:

Hello.
Actually I'm using Windows 7, but I guess it's all most the same in
Windows Vista and there's no newsgroup for 7's security yet. The
problem is that I have an old-school program that creates its
directory at a hard-corded directory in C's root (C:\xxx). Now, I
don't want to run it with administrative privileges, I changed the
directory's security permissions to (everyone - full control) and make
them inherited to all its sub-directories. The program reads & writes
fine with existing files. But the program creates a c file inside its
directory and tries to let a C compiler on a network drive compile it.
That?s when the problem comes in. It creates the c file all right, but
the c compiler cannot read it (saying ?permission denied?).

If I turn UAC off, I don?t get errors, but I don?t want to turn it
off. I?ve tried to give Full-Control to ?Everyone?, ?Creator Owner?
and ?my own account?, but the problem persisted. How can I change a
specific folder?s (C:\xxx) permission settings so that no matter what
program or account do whatever they want in that directory they can do
it?

If you are the programmer, you need to make your changes and not hard-code
to the root of C:. As you well know, that is protected in both Vista and
Windows 7.

If you want to pursue this, post in the appropriate Win7's forum here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

AFAIK (and much to my chagrin), MS will not be creating NNTP newsgroups for
Win7.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Hijacking of seeks
    ... Smiles are meant to be shared, ... > next Windows restart. ... with the Windows XP Security Center and it is very annoying. ... Replies posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers. ...
  • RE: LSA Shell Shudown
    ... Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup. ... this and has verified that the worm exploits the Local Security Authority ... by installing Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011 immediately. ... On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Word saving conflict with hp scanjet 5590
    ... System restore deleted a number of security patches, ... You can uninstall it using the Add/Remove programs Control Panel. ... This message is posted to a newsgroup. ... You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows ...
  • Re: Question for Roger Abell
    ... policy newsgroup, perhaps crossposted to a couple other ... Security Templates and Security Configuration and Analysis snap-ins ... I'm going thru the Windows 2000 Security Hardening Guide, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Cant SAVE files to Folders from EXCEL (and WORD)
    ... That update patched a very real security hole in Windows. ... This message is posted to a newsgroup. ... Microsoft Word and Excel get screwed ... Windows specs) that tripped up a necessary security patch. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)