Give a program access to C:\xxx\its-own-file.c

Hello.
Actually I'm using Windows 7, but I guess it's all most the same in
Windows Vista and there's no newsgroup for 7's security yet. The
problem is that I have an old-school program that creates its
directory at a hard-corded directory in C's root (C:\xxx). Now, I
don't want to run it with administrative privileges, I changed the
directory's security permissions to (everyone - full control) and make
them inherited to all its sub-directories. The program reads & writes
fine with existing files. But the program creates a c file inside its
directory and tries to let a C compiler on a network drive compile it.
That’s when the problem comes in. It creates the c file all right, but
the c compiler cannot read it (saying “permission denied”).

If I turn UAC off, I don’t get errors, but I don’t want to turn it
off. I’ve tried to give Full-Control to “Everyone”, “Creator Owner”
and “my own account”, but the problem persisted. How can I change a
specific folder’s (C:\xxx) permission settings so that no matter what
program or account do whatever they want in that directory they can do
it?

  • Re: Vistas Security Rendered Completely Useless by New Exploit
    ... in different versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista. ... So, in a stroke, two security researchers (Mark Dowd of IBM ... So how does defense in depth work? ... Dowd is Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR). ...
  • Re: Vistas Security Rendered Completely Useless by New Exploit
    ... introduced in different versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista. ... So, in a stroke, two security researchers (Mark Dowd of IBM ... The best defense against this type of vulnerability is to ... Dowd is Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR). ...
  • RE: Anyone looked at the canary stack protection in Win2k3?
    ... I wrote up a simple analysis of Microsoft's /GS compiler option for Visual C++ ... Compiler Security Optimizations ... In Chapter 1 you saw the simplest possible buffer overflow, ... checks to see that it is still alive when a vulnerable stack frame returns. ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Compilation of Code in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET and a couple of other Microsoft .NET questio
    ... I've just recently installed the Visual Studio .net Professional ... part of visual studio, not the compiler. ... then does that mean that I have found a security flaw in .NET or is it just ... Visual Studio .NET will that executable require the .NET framework to be ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: Unchecked Buffer
    ... the above is not a potential security design issue. ... > when attempting to go over software to check for possible stack overflow ... text on the local machine where an app might GetWindowText. ... > it should be picked up by the compiler. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)