Re: Why am I suddenly getting the Windows Security Alert

Yes, try it as Run as Administrator.

"Nikilet" <Nikilet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:B2FB776F-83E7-4C1D-98F0-F788C0130167@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maybe I'm not understanding. I went to Start, then Run and pasted in the SFC
/SCANNOW, a black box flashed for a second and then nothing at all happened.
I'm wondering if I'm supposed to use that cmd box for this?

"Badger" wrote:

OK, Nikilet,

Go to your Start-Run line and type SFC /SCANNOW

This may take a while since it checks all the system files.

This will repair or replace any corrupt or missing files.

Then reboot again.

> I did what you suggested, rebooted and I'm still getting the alert.
>
> The one thing I did before this alert started was yesterday; I > installed
> Kodak EasyShare software. Today after starting my computer (when the > alert
> came up for the first time) I used Revo Uninstaller to remove this
> software.
> I don't see what this could have to do with anything but I was informed
> that
> EasyShare causes all sorts of problems and I thought this might be it. > But
> after removal and reboot the alert was still there.
>
> "Badger" wrote:
>
>> Go to security center and double click - change the way security >> center
>> alerts me,
>> check the one you want.
>> Then reboot to see if it comes up properly.
>>
>> Something in your system caused this, or didn't shut down properly.
>>

>> "Nikilet" <Nikilet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > I have Vista Home Premium/2GB RAM/Core 2 duo
>> >
>> > I got this security alert today when I booted. When I open Windows
>> > Security
>> > Center it shows the problem that Windows Defender and Spyware Doctor
>> > are
>> > both
>> > turned off. That's as it should be and as it has always been. I have
>> > BitDefender Internet Security 2009 and it shows "No issue affects >> > your
>> > computer."
>> >
>> > I used an elevated command to check that WMI and it shows as
>> > consistent.
>> > So
>> > why did this alert suddenly start showing up?
>> >
>> > I know I can turn the alerts off, but I'd much rather find out what
>> > caused
>> > this problem and fix it.

  • Updated Security alert!! W32/Mydoom@MM
    ... PSS Security Response Team Alert - New Worm: ... This alert is being updated to advise you of a new variant of the Mydoom ... Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, and ... for this virus as it spreads in the wild. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: [Partially, Almost On Topic] Update On Worldwide Terror Alerts
    ... Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to ... The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's ... Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" ... along so far with no knowledge of what color terror alert you are living under? ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: How Do I Turn This Freakin New Security Manager Off??!?!!
    ... > alert to not monitor the firewall or antivirus software and have turned off ... When I reboot the computer the security center ... If the "Change the Way Security Center Notifies Me" doesn't stick ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
  • Re: Problems with firewall in SP2
    ... > monitor the firewall myself" and tell Security alerts not to alert me about ... As soon as I reboot my computer, the alert is there. ... Security Center Notifies Me" link in the left pane. ...
  • Bangkok, deep South on security alert
    ... A security alert is in effect for Bangkok and the South today, ... Pol Maj-Gen Adisorn Nonsi, acting chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said ... had received insurgent training to launch attacks in the deep South. ...
    (soc.culture.malaysia)