Re: Can't schedule tasks to run in future, in Vista Home Premium

Hi David
I want you to digest all the information from the linked page I will provide below. Be sure and read carefully to keep from missing the "only if", "must be", "You will have to", "You cannot", "you must", etc, etc. Wording that we some times miss when reading to fast. You will have to read it right in order for things to go right. Be sure and read the other information that is linked to other pages and other sites from that page..
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/132903-task-scheduler-create-task.html
Task Scheduler - Create Task
How to Create a Task in Vista Task Scheduler
Published by Brink
02-21-2008

Snips from the above linked page
"You can also set a condition that tells the task to wake the computer from sleep mode to run the task when the trigger is activated. Before you set the condition to wake the computer to run the task, ensure that the task will not cause the computer to wake at inconvenient times".

"C) Under the Network section -
NOTE: You can set a condition to run the task only if a specific named network connection is available or if any network connection is available when the task's trigger is activated. If your task action requires a network connection to execute, then set this condition".
NOTE: By default, a task runs within the security context of the user who scheduled the task and only runs if that user is logged on when the task is triggered.

I snipped one tread from the discussion from the below link.
http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/111674-task-scheduler-problem.html
"Symptom:
Event ID: 101
OP Code: 6619136
Error Value: 2147943726

Possible Solution:
If RUN Whether User is Logged on or not option is used
Check the box on Do Not Store Password
Check Run at Highest Privileges
Make sure you got sufficient Admin rights for what your tasking.

I came across this solution on one of the backup
vista forums.
I'll post it if I can find it again. I am sure you can research on the consequences of selecting Do Not Store Password on your own, but my understanding is YOU CAN'T Task Schedule network CPUs if this option IS selected."
end snip

Hope it helps

H Brown

"David Walker" <none@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OwNqsGb3JHA.4872@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, I have read all of the search-engine hits I can find, and they all
seem to point to the fact that you can't run scheduled tasks in Vista
Home Premium using a regular username even when you supply the correct
password.

Vista forgets the password and gives the error "2147943726 (Logon
failure: unknown user name or bad password)" whenever it tries to run a
scheduled task (scheduled at the same time every day) after the computer
is rebooted.

I have read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931711 but I don't know
exactly what it means -- does it mean that users with Vista Home Premium
can't schedule tasks to run in the future? The title is "Windows Vista
Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, and Windows Vista Starter save
user credentials only for the current session". This article doesn't
have much context.

For my task -- a backup program to a network disk -- I can't use the "Do
not store password. The task will only have access to local computer
resources" checkbox, since the task needs access to the network disk.

And the "run with highest privileges" checkbox doesn't have any effect.
I still get the "Logon failure" message when the task tries to run after
I reboot.

I have read the articles at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-
us/appcompat/aa906020.aspx and at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-
us/library/bb756979.aspx, which both say that the Vista task scheduler is
wonderful and will do everything for you. Apparently this isn't the case
in Vista Home Premium if you want to use a regular user logon ID.

None of the discussions I have found by searching the 'net actually have
a solution. (Many of the answers are people making guesses like "make
sure the password is correct" or "set the task to run at startup" (which
is not what I want) or to use the "run only when user is logged on"
checkbox (which doesn't solve the issue of how to run a task when you're
NOT logged on), or to go to the Group Policy editor and change some
settings... of course, Vista Home Premium doesn't even have the group
policy editor! Not to be ungrateful, but none of those actually address
the problem that Vista Home Premium can't seem to run scheduled tasks
after a reboot.)

Questions: Is this a known issue? Is this "Working as designed", in
spite of the technet article and the MSDN article? I have installed all
current Microsoft updates to Vista Home Premium, as of 5/25/2009.

Thanks for any pointers.

David Walker

  • Re: Cant schedule tasks to run in future, in Vista Home Premium
    ... How to Create a Task in Vista Task Scheduler ... "C) Under the Network section - ... day, and that is not happening: After I reboot, Vista says the user name ... Vista Home Premium using a regular username even when you supply the ...
  • network settings and WU ... ?
    ... There was an update a few days ago that caused some of us to lose our network connection. ... It might have just been a coincidence however. ... I'm using Vista Home Premium and the only way around this problem was to roll back the registry to an earlier date. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)