Re: What is csrss.exe?

My Vista Ultimate x86 (32 bit) has the file c:\windows\system32\csrss.exe. It's been a core component of the Windows desktop since at least Windows 2000. I have also seen references to csrss.exe flagged as a trojan program on some web-sites. A google search just now reports that only AuditMyPC.com is reporting it as a virus. Given that AuditMyPC.com doesn't seem to know that this file is part of Windows, I would strongly advice avoiding this site.

Mike Ober.

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:erMTp6yzJHA.436@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James

In what scenario are you getting this error to show. In Vista there is no csrss.exe. This you will find it in XP and W2K3 only . Apart from that depending in the scenario it is a Ahlem. A worm otherwise known as csrss.exe
--
Peter

"JamesJ" <jjy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23W5G23wzJHA.4272@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What is csrss.exe. A search on the internet has brought up the
following web page saying in one paragraph that it is 'registered as a Trojan.'
Then in another paragraph it says 'The Microsoft Client Server Runtime Server subsystem'

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/csrss/

I don't understand.

James

  • Re: What is csrss.exe?
    ... It's been a core component of the Windows desktop since at least Windows 2000. ... Mike Ober. ... Then in another paragraph it says 'The Microsoft Client Server Runtime Server subsystem' ...
  • Re: What is csrss.exe?
    ... Also any site that says a name is a Trojan with an offer to download it's software to fix the problem is a Trojan in itself just trying to sell you their software. ... It's been a core component of the Windows desktop since at least Windows 2000. ... Then in another paragraph it says 'The Microsoft Client Server Runtime Server subsystem' ...
  • Re: Comment bubbles vanishing in Word for Windows
    ... When I exchange documents with Windows users (specifically Word ... paragraph entirely, moved the second sentence of the third paragraph and the ... paragraph, the first sentence of the second paragraph, all of the third ... inserting a comment in the same paragraph as one of these two ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Disk Imaging Software ?
    ... my first thought was "what if Windows won't boot and the hard ... That thought translated into a second thought "Windows won't boot, ... that is why I added the last paragraph. ... I have 2 hard drives and want to make an image of drive C: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: worthless activation
    ... >Second paragraph - usually your own fault. ... >(ignorance of how to properly maintain a Windows computer) and/or just ... that would usually be the fault of the OEM ... >XP without interacting with anyone - you could reinstall and do so every 121 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)