Re: error 80072EFD Windows update at wits end

Were you asked to try installing updates manually ?

One thing I did remember and Im not sure if this is related, is about a
month ago I had gotten a virus on my pc that when spy sweeper deleted
it, I would get a .dll error when I booted up. I did a checkdisk and it
fixed the error but I think around that time is around the time it
stopped updating windows.

Can you provide the exact name of the virus ?

Running chkdsk does NOT resolve .dll errors that one sees on boot.
Removing the missing .dll reference from the startup axis using the System Configuration Utility or editing the Run subkey in the registry resolves that type of an error.

If you would, please provide us with a list of things that were done so that we don't recommend you try the same steps again.

Has the antivirus software been changed and was a 3rd party firewall ever used ?

How is the system connected to the internet ... on a home network; is the network wireless; is a router used; etc ?

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

karaliecaitsith wrote:

Hello,

I had posted this in the installation forum, because I was thinking of
reformatting my pc.. I figured I'd see if anyone might know a solution
to this problem.. I'm currently running windows vista 32bit and am
having problems with my pc. I noticed my pc was running slow the other
day and when I looked at the updates tab it states the last time it
updated was in March. I tried to update it, it gives me an error that
when I look it up states its firewall related. (error 80072EFD) I
uninstalled all of my anti virus programs and disabled firewalls...
nada. I've tried to have the pcsafety people do a remote assist 3 times
and they cant find the problem. We've scanned the pc for spyware and
malware 3 different times (Norman antivirus (the tech did this) spy
sweeper and also the tool built into windows. They've tried resetting
the batch etc with no luck. I'm to the point of just reformatting my pc

One thing I did remember and Im not sure if this is related, is about a
month ago I had gotten a virus on my pc that when spy sweeper deleted
it, I would get a .dll error when I booted up. I did a checkdisk and it
fixed the error but I think around that time is around the time it
stopped updating windows. We've ruled out spyware, malware and
firewalls.

I can connect to the internet fine etc, but neither windows update, nor
defender can update. Please help.

.